Does a fishfinder really help you catch more fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Does a fishfinder really help you catch more fish?

you talking about rockfisf, or are they out in the atlantic by now?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Yellow Perch. Quite a few Rock around as well if you know where to look.

pduquette

Ensign

Hi Boman316 ! I picked up a hummingbird 717 at the begining of '09 and it takes a while to read / get use to !! Biggest point for me is remembering as a fish appears and scrolls rt. to lft on screen its actualy behind your boat. I upgraded my software and added the side scan transducer..neat point is the screen shows a boat icon on top middle and scrolls top to bottom and shows you wich side of the boat the fish are on . Give in and just cruise arround ,playing with the settings - and resist the urge to pick up the pole ! peter

Attachments

• 10-12-09_0758.jpg
    10-12-09_0758.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 10-12-09_0821.jpg
    10-12-09_0821.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

MRS

Commander

Once you use one it is hard to not fish without one I think the resolution of the unit is the key 320x320 minimum. Finding structure and bait fish is the key plus run without the fish id,arches are way better you will not see arches if sitting still you have to be moving and have the transducer set right go on line to your units manufactor and they usally have pointers on how to read and use your unit. Only once have I seen a fish hit the bait on the unit but it was cool 90ft. Plus if you do troll it will show you the depth the fish are running at. But the worst thing is when you know they are there and you cannot catch them.....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Biggest point for me is remembering as a fish appears and scrolls rt. to lft on screen its actualy behind your boat. I upgraded my software and added the side scan transducer..neat point is the screen shows a boat icon on top middle and scrolls top to bottom and shows you wich side of the boat the fish are on .

How does your machine know if it's a fish and not just something floating in the water column :confused:

a70eliminator

Captain

It doesn't know it's not a fish, if it were in the water column, it wouldn't work.

pduquette

Ensign

No real way I guess..But looking at the arch return would help clue you in . Last August I was in Mass bay just floating and i could see clouds of bait then the bigg fish chasing 'em . And in the Canal I could actualy pickup "thermo clouds" or temp pockets in the currents . peter

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

And in the Canal I could actualy pickup "thermo clouds" or temp pockets in the currents . peter
Temp inversions would not show up as "clouds". The most likely candidate was air bubbles entrained in the turbulence of the current or prop wash from a passing vessel.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I have actually marked fish (walleyes and bass) and quickly adjusted tackle if necessary and caught these fish. Especially fun trolling in 20'+ water with walleyes on the bottom. Do we catch every fish we see on sonar? No, but catching fish you mark can be done. It's fun!

I hate the term "fish finder" and try to use "sonar" or "graph." Sonar does reveal structure and nuances in the bottom composition. This information can help catch fish.

So, yes, they help catch more fish- a lot more! However, you need to learn how to interpret what your sonar screen is showing you.

Knowing your unit is even more important than resolution- know your sonar and its settings. Example: I just upgraded from my old Fish ID Pro last year. The Fish ID Pro is 90 vertical pixels, and I bought it in 1994 or 1995. We have caught many fish seen with this graph. The upgrade unit is 480x480 pixels. I am not used to what to tweak on the settings yet; I don't catch fish as well with the Fishmark 480 (yet!) as I did with the old unit, but the resolution is teaching me and showing me things I never could have seen on the old Fish ID! Once I understand and know exactly what settings different bodies of water work best with on the new unit, I will be light years ahead of what the old Fish ID could provide. But until I get that down in few more trips this spring, I am a little handicapped.

bowman: turn off the fish symbols, adjust your surface clutter filter, and then play with the gain a little. It's like focusing binoculars! Once you get a clear picture, you will begin to sense what marks are fish and what marks are junk.

My 2 cents

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Give in and just cruise around ,playing with the settings - and resist the urge to pick up the pole !

This is the reason I would guess they do not help you catch fish. They do entertain, though.

A little like having an Atari 2600 running Space Invaders on your boat. Except in Space Invaders the aliens bite. :D

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

This is the reason I would guess they do not help you catch fish. They do entertain, though.A little like having an Atari 2600 running Space Invaders on your boat. Except in Space Invaders the aliens bite. :D

Maybe I am way too hyper, but I couldn't just cruise around without having at least one pole trolling and another in hand doing something! If there is fish on the sonar, I am trying to catch them. If there is bait, there is usually fish nearby. I have seen clouds of bait and not seen any good arches, only to have the rod go off with a nice landlocked salmon out of 'nowhere'. Walleyes don't tend to come out of nowhere though.

At times I have cruised a little at a faster speed searching for bait and/or fish, but once I find them, watching the little Space Invaders game:D doesn't cut it: I get the lines out!

I do like my little "TV" though :)

Huron Angler

Admiral

I hate the term "fish finder" and try to use "sonar" or "graph."

Do you guys remember the old paper graphs? Used to see guys holding up sheets of paper at the dock bragging about how they marked more salmon at their spot than the other guys:D

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

you have salmon up in vermont?
i thought they were only in the pacific

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

do atlantic salmon come into the southern tributiaries?
like the chesapeake bay?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

do atlantic salmon come into the southern tributiaries?
like the chesapeake bay?

The Bays is far from favorable Atlantic Salmon habitat. There are no fast moving rivers for them to spawn and the water temps are generally well above their liking. Not to mention the Striper population in the Bay. Atlantic salmon are a favorite lunch of the Striper in areas where they co-habitat.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

yea, rockfish are like the sharks of the bay, they are top of the food chain. maybe u could catch them in the ocean off ocean city.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

yea, rockfish are like the sharks of the bay, they are top of the food chain. maybe u could catch them in the ocean off ocean city.
Atlantic Salmon are cold water fish. Spend a large percentage of SW lives @ Greenland then follow the Labrador Current back to the Northern US. They are rare as far north as Cape Cod so they certainly wouldn't be happy in the tropics off Ocean City

Status
Not open for further replies.