Docking with twin I/Os

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just bought a new boat, 2000 Maxum 3000scr. Beautiful, or at least until time to dock it. I graduated from a single I/O to the twin I/Os, and so far I'm on the wrong side of the learning curve. I know that with twin inboards, people say to leave the wheel alone, and do it all with the transmissions. With the I/Os, some people tell me that I should do the same and turn with just the engines, so people say to still use the wheel and just goose one engine or the other to help it turn. The only time that I have tried to back it in the slip so far, I ended up using wheel, throttles, the piling off to the side, and most of my friends, and it was still very, very ugly. For those of you with twin I/Os, how do you do it? Thanks

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Docking with twin I/Os

I have no answer for you but I have seen some captains straight J-turn huge boats right into docks in FL and stop right on a dime. It's impressive.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I have run a 30' twin I/O and currently a 40' with twin inboards. I'm going to assume that you have counter-rotating props. Center the wheel and leave it alone. Approach your destination docking from upwind or upcurrent if possible. You'll have much better control that you will going with the wind or current.

Approach nothing any faster than you are comfortable hitting it. When you're ready to make your turns, remember:

1) Port shifter forward / starboard shifter reverse = spins to starboard in the boats own length
2) Port shifter reverse / starboard shifter forward = spins to port in the boats own length
3) Port neutral / starboard forward = wide arc to port
4) Port forward / starboard neutral = wide arc to starboard

In a confined setting (no obstructions like boats or jet skis), try to alway come to a complete stop, then immediately make your shifter adjustments. The longer you sit in neutral, the more apt you are to become a victim of wind/current. As long as you are actively spinning a prop, the wind/current will have minimal effect (barring high winds...duh). If you find yourself needing a little correction, that can be done via the throttle of the engine that's in gear or by momentarily taking it out of gear.

The best (and I mean best) way to perfect your backing is to practice, practice, practice. Go to a marina if possible or a friends dock and spend a few hours approaching, backing, and docking. Also, you need to practice docking to both sides of the boat, which when docking to port, that has a totally different feel. If you have someone who is accomplished at this, invite them along. Let an experienced person assist, this way if something isn't going right, they can help you determine what needs to be corrected. Don't be afraid of using a piling as a lever against the current, or using spring lines to help.

It really is a simple concept and much easier that slipping a single screw. Once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder what the problem ever was. You'll even learn how to put one engine in gear, one in neutral, and cutting the wheel to make your boat move on a diagonal!

Keep practicing!!

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

have to say looks like great advise. Have you looked to youtube for a video on it?

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

One tip I can give is keep it simpld and don't overthink it.

Here's what do:

Stop perpdndicular to slip, about a boat length from the end of the dock, aft end of boat about even with the close side of the slip, with stern facing wind and current.

Center steering wheel and DO NOT TOUCH.

Put outside engine in reverse (I usually do not touch it after that)

As the stern curves in (you are aiming the aft corner of your boat at the end of the dock on the side of the slip you want the boat to rest against) adjust with the inside engine (which has been in nuetral to this point).

If you think you're going to hit the dock, goose it with inside engine forward briefly. That will straighten up the boat.

If you're curving too quickly, goose it quickly with inside engine in reverse briefly. This will point you more toward the dock.

Continue curve until parallel to dock in the slip.

I know, a lot to think about, but if you read the steps again, you will see I do all my steering adjustments with the inside engine.

This has been tested in a 38 mph wind, btw.

Best advice from previous posts, go somewhere you can't hurt anything, maybe even just a single piling out in the water) and practice, practice, practice.

Good luck...

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I'm speaking from a lack of I/O experience, but can comment on the guys I have seen performing the task.

A twin I/O boat with the motors mounted close may not react well with just the shifters and may need the out drives turned to go where you want.

A twin I/O with the engines set apart (duo prop will help too) should be able to sing and spin without the use of the wheel. With that said, the boat will probably do a lot of its turning more toward the stern, whereas an inboard will spin more centered. Adding throttle to the forward or reverse engine will help counteract this.

Keep in mind, practice will help a bunch. Learning your boat will help a bunch, but you will always have a time or two that just doesn't go perfect. Try and keep it slow, keep an Wyeth on everything around you, and try and have a way to pull out of the maneuver and try again.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I'm with Fireman and Captainkickback - position the boat for you approach, center the wheel and hands off! I'm still becoming proficient at it (this'll be my second season with the current boat), but I'm already much better with the twins than I was with my last boat (single duo-prop).

Understand and demonstrate for yourself how the boat moves forward, reverse and port-starboard with the prop thrust of each engine.

One of the issues I encountered when making a bunch of 'set up' maneuvers at low speed was losing track of where my drives were pointed. On at least one occasion I was trying to back into a slip on a windy day, and my drives were a full turn of the wheel off center. It got, uh... messy. After positive feedback from a few folks here, I bught a Davis Rudder Position Indicator (it's available from iboats). Haven't had a chance to mount it yet, but it looks handy.

Patience and practice. Trust me, after awhile you're gonna LOVE having dual engines.

My .02

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm speaking from a lack of I/O experience, but can comment on the guys I have seen performing the task.

A twin I/O boat with the motors mounted close may not react well with just the shifters and may need the out drives turned to go where you want.

A twin I/O with the engines set apart (duo prop will help too) should be able to sing and spin without the use of the wheel. With that said, the boat will probably do a lot of its turning more toward the stern, whereas an inboard will spin more centered. Adding throttle to the forward or reverse engine will help counteract this.

Keep in mind, practice will help a bunch. Learning your boat will help a bunch, but you will always have a time or two that just doesn't go perfect. Try and keep it slow, keep an Wyeth on everything around you, and try and have a way to pull out of the maneuver and try again.

The boat I had was a 30' twin I/O (set fairly close) and using just the engines always worked fine. Your point is well taken that every boat is different, some will react more and some less. Inboards react faster. I had a 35' twin inboard for a short time last year and it was so reactive you had to be very careful when moving the throttles in close quarters.

But, the OP titled this thread about I/Os. Won't be a problem. As mentioned, having the steering centered is critical. The boat will react differently if the drives are turned.

dsiekman

I made the jump from single to twins a couple years ago. After getting advice similar to that given above - engines only - I have to say it is a lot easier to handle my 29' boat than the 25' with a single. I have separate shift and throttle (four levers in all) which helps too. That way you don't accidentally give her too much gas. Also, as mentioned above, practice, practice, practice. I never took the old boat out alone because I couldn't get back in the slip without a panic attack. Now that I'm comfortable I take the 29 out alone all the time.

The other really important note above is to stop the boat before trying to turn. If not it just gets messy.

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, a lot of good advice (that I definitely need). Stopping the boat before starting the next manuever makes sense, otherwise slightly bad becomes real bad fairly quickly. Practicing throttle only seems to be the next step, but this weekend it might be tough to find that quiet place to do it. I will have to train myself to keep my hands off that wheel. When things started going bad, that"s the first thing I grabbed, and it was all downhill from there.

Thalasso

Commander

Thanks guys, a lot of good advice (that I definitely need). Stopping the boat before starting the next manuever makes sense, otherwise slightly bad becomes real bad fairly quickly. Practicing throttle only seems to be the next step, but this weekend it might be tough to find that quiet place to do it. I will have to train myself to keep my hands off that wheel. When things started going bad, that"s the first thing I grabbed, and it was all downhill from there.

Fireman is dead on.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Nice post fireman.

You can use the wheel though, I mean don't be afraid to.

Just find your self somewhere you can play with it and play and learn. It's not as hard as you think, relax and practice, most of all have fun brother sounds like you got a nice new boat.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Whenooking for a "quiet place" to practice, it does not have to be a dock. Just a piling or marker out in the water will do. You just need something to reference your boat's movements to.

Also, until you get the hang of this, steer with the engine or the wheel, but not both. After you master this technique, you can move on to combinations like mentioned above (diagonal movement).

dsiekman

Just splashed my boat this morning and thought of a few more things as I was backing her in.

1. Very similar to driving a skid steer. If you have never had the opportunity, I highly recommend it!

2. I like to face backwards when backing in and operate the contols left handed instead of right handed. It take a little getting used to, but it works for me.

3. If you don't have a lot of wind or current, take your time and "coast" when you can. In gear, out of gear...coast...slight adjustment...coast... This will depend a little on your boat. I've seen guys in bigger boats manage to back in under power all the way and stop within inches of the pier. If I tried that I'd be exceeding no wake speed and taking water over the swim platform. I like to do this when I can as it limits your speed which equates to less potential for damage or "oh $&*#" moments.

One more thing. It is definately an art and it will definately take a while to learn. I have a long way to go. If you have someplace around you where big boats (40' plus) dock, spend some time watching them come and go. You will see some real talent.

sasto

Captain

Hi Kenn,

Does that Sea Ray have the props up in a pocket?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I made the same change from single to twin i/os a few years ago.as you are experiencing,I had a tough time with it too.What I can tell you is that the minute you start with the steering wheel,you may as well continue past your slip and start a new approach.as soon as you abandon the twin method and start turning thwe wheel you cannot go back to the twin method on that approach because there is no way of knowing if your drives are straight anymore.What I do, which has proven to be far superior to handling a single is to 1-get the steering wheel situated to where the drives are straight 2-turn your body around and place your butt or legs or back against the steering wheel to keep it from moving 3-take a shifter in each hand and beging backing .Forget that you are backing and just continue going the way you are facing which just happens to be the stern.4-NOW YOU CANT TOUCH THE WHEEL.This made the biggest difference to my wanting to use the wheel.What most forget about is neutral.when backing up if you are moving to fast you should put it in neutral for a moment.You dont have to put it in fwd.This is a way to slow or stop the boat.This you must practice.NEVER PUT YOURSELF IN A SITUATION WHERE GETTING INTO THE SLIP ON THE FIRST TRY IS DO OR DIE. You can always take another approach or choose a different slip.I can go on and on but just DO NOT GIVE UP ON THE TWIN METHOD.When you begin to "get it" you will never want to touch the wheel again.It took me more than 1 season to learn it.Charles

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

remember:

1) Port shifter forward / starboard shifter reverse = spins to starboard in the boats own length
2) Port shifter reverse / starboard shifter forward = spins to port in the boats own length
3) Port neutral / starboard forward = wide arc to port
4) Port forward / starboard neutral = wide arc to starboard

Thanks for that Fireman, That has definitely made my mind up for me:eek::confused::confused:.... I'm sticking with my little single prop I/O
Good Luck PK:D

Last edited:

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

One thing someone told me early on that really helped, especially when having to think quickly, was imagine a set of parentheses around your controls. This, of course, works best if you have combined shifters and throttles.

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll throw a couple of more things to remember in here as well. (Not that I'm an expert by any stretch of the imagination) I will echo just about everyone else in this post in saying "center the wheel and leave it alone." One thing I learned was to come to a full stop before starting your "starboard in forward, port in reverse(vice versa)" actions for rotation while docking. If you initiate this with your shifters with momentum, the boat isn't going to do what you want/think its going to do. The other thing I learned was to really pay attention to getting your setup correct i.e. figure out how far past your slip you pull before roatating. You will get better quickly and very soon you will be dialed in and you'll realize how much easier it is operate a dual prop boat. My 21' OB Rinker is more difficult for me to dock that the Silverton 322 Aft Cabin.