Docking outboard stern to dock

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a boat trip to a marina where all the boats must docked with the stern to the dock. I have never done this before so I'm concerned about my outboard motor's lower unit hitting the dock. I'm thinking I'll throw an anchor from the bow and tie dock lines to the bow cleats. Also thinking I'll somehow secure bumpers to the motor lower unit. Anything I'm missing? Tips?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have a boat trip to a marina where all the boats must docked with the stern to the dock. I have never done this before so I'm concerned about my outboard motor's lower unit hitting the dock. I'm thinking I'll throw an anchor from the bow and tie dock lines to the bow cleats. Also thinking I'll somehow secure bumpers to the motor lower unit. Anything I'm missing? Tips?
We are in tidal water. Stern to dock is the norm as are finger piers and or forward pilings.

Cross tie and adjust length to suite. You will not need bumpers or anything else for that matter.

1662137684789.png

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When operating in and around the docks the rule is ----GO SLOW ----So if you have lines ready and a boat hook there should be no issue.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Stern to dock is norm around here as are finger piers and forward pilings.
Cross tie and you will need nothing but 4 lines

View attachment 369328

Where I'm going there are no finger piers. The boats will be side to side. My bow line will be on the anchor to keep the boat perpendicular to the dock.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Where I'm going there are no finger piers. The boats will be side to side. My bow line will be on the anchor to keep the boat perpendicular to the dock.
No forward pilings either?
Sounds like a bumper boat disaster in the making

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No forward pilings either?
Sounds like a bumper boat disaster in the making
Luckily the dock is in a protected cove so there should not be any boat wakes. Hopefully the other boaters are civil.

tpenfield

Staff member
No anchor . . . bad idea :oops:

What is there to tie dock lines to? just the stern?

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
I've seen this in the Caribbean. What you're describing is not possible unless some kind of special docking apparatus I used it seems to me.