dock bumpers on a fluctuating water height

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am planning on renting a temporary dock at an area lake (Hardy Dam Pond, Newago, Mich.)while I camp. The lake level is controlled by a small hydro dam and fluctuates about 4 inches between day and night. I will need to use some dock bumpers to protect the boat from a welded steel dock. Should I tie them to the dock or to the boat? How should I attach them?

Thanks,
TerryMSU

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: dock bumpers on a fluctuating water height

Being that fenders are 14"-16" long if you hang them off your boat withe the dock at about the center of the fender that should give you enough movement up and down to still be on the fender with the 4" change in height. Are you only tying up to one side or is there a dock on both sides of the boat? if you can tie from both sides of the boat you can try to set it up so the boat is centered between the two docks and doesnt touch either side.

Look and see what everyone else is doing I guess would be the best thing.

oldjeep

Admiral

Odd that they don't use floating docks in a reservoir.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The fluctuation is quite small, it is just that it is every day. The actual average level is very consistent.

TerryMSU

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

If you mount the fenders on the boat, so that just the bottom tip of the fender is touching the water, that bottom tip will always be just touching the water. Agree? The water will be going up and down, as will the boat. Now, you may need to watch how much slack you leave in the dock lines. That will change as the level rises or falls. Just like tides.