Do you launch with people on your boat?

iamthunderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After reading some safety manuals and other sources on the web, I have heard that launching your boat should be done with only the captain in it. DO you have kids and adults in it when launching off a ramp?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Do you launch with people on your boat?

I often pull up with one of my daughters on board after she hooks the bow eye, but i use a power winch and send her to the stern. Don't need anyone on board to launch b/c I launch dry and need all weight out--I load after I launch (private ramp no one waiting).

pinecrestwoods

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not so controlling that I consider myself the only "captain" in my family. :rolleyes: My wife and I both "drive," as it is "our" boat.

We find it perfectly safe to load my wife and girls in the boat (all with pfds) just before I back them down the ramp. I put them in the water, unstrap, push them back a smidge to "release" them from the trailer, wife fires it up and backs it out. They putt around until I return to the dock and they pick me up. Quick, we don't get in anyone's way, and we are both very comfortable with it.

There are arguments for not doing it this way, but neither of us can think of any significant reason to keep us from doing it. It's a slow, short ride, and everyone will float if the boat doesn't for some reason. I park with e-brake and chock my front wheels each time.

Whatever. I guess everyone should just do what the "experts" recommend. ;)

Bifflefan

Commander

I agree with pinecrestwoods.
I see nothing wrong with it as long as you use common sense.
That being said,,,, well enough said.

iamthunderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

She will be a captain soon as well, we have only had the boat for a week LOL.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

I don't because it's much easier for the passengers to climb into the boat from the dock or beach.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

my wife and daughter get on the boat at the top of the ramp , i back it in undue the safty chain and winch it off the trailer the wife backs the boat around the dock and ties it up, while I park the truck and walk back.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

i always launch by myself then head right to the courtesy dock to pick everyone up. then we go out and idle around til the driver comes back, we nose in, pick him up and we are on our way after that. we have small children so i dont want them running around while im trying to launch the boat.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

We launch with everyone in the boat and with all equipment in the boat and do a bump and run to get driver of the truck. Since we have a bass boat we never have more than 3 people.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Girlfriend at the helm...kids seated.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

All passengers in the boat, children with PFD's on, everything loaded. My wife backs us down and I drive off.
Everyone gets situated and last minute stowing and sun screen go on while I circle and wait for my wife.
I try to keep my boat off of any dock that is not mine.
When the wife comes down, I nose up, she gets on, and I pull away.
We trailer pretty much the same way.
We have done this for 14 years and have never had an issue.
I think if you have a roller trailer, I would wait until the boat was in the water to unhook and get in.

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

No.

All our junk goes int he boat, the kids wait on the ground off the courtesy dock, I launch and jump in. Wife parks the van. She then comes down back, gets the kids, then we get in the boat. By that time I've got it warmed up and ready to rock and roll.

I'm still fairly new to this boating stuff though...2nd year. Too many people in and around my boat would make me nervous during launch. Maybe I'll do it sometime down the road though....who knows....

mphy98

Lieutenant

sometimes yes sometimes no, all depends on the situation. if long lines at the ramps, yes. less time at the dock.

Jonathan3206

Seaman

I personally back it in and pull to dock and walk around to move truck. It is a privet dock so no issues. If I have someone with me I back in and have them pull the truck away. Then I pick everyone up at the dock. I just dont like having people in the boat when im getting on and off of the trailer. But that is just me. Also im the only person that drives my boat. I have only let one person drive this new (to me) boat and people just dont know how to drive and not slam every wave. I will teach a few people once I get the "new" feeling gone. I cant wait because I love skiing.

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

wife at helm and kids-- 1 or 2 with pfds on and seated at all times works great recover with wife at helm and kids in truck seated but not buckled at this time

loppster

Seaman Apprentice

Because our camp is about a mile from the ramp, we load everyone except my wife and I in the boat and I drive to the ramp. I back the boat into the water and then climb aboard and back off the trailer. My wife then pulls the suv and trailer to the parking area and we do a quick pickup at the dock.

oshkoshboating

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gear in, kids and wife out. I let the boat go from the trailer, wife keeps on to it (rope) while it releases from the trailer. She ties it down, I jump in, undo the cable and stow that back. I go park the whip while she starts it up and gets the kids in.

I then politely tell her to move over so I can drive (that works about 50% of the time) and we take off.

:D

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, but boat is small too. I launch and retrieve by myself and have the wife and kids wait for the 2 minutes it takes for me to complete the process and secure the boat to the dock or trailer.

Not only don't I have to worry about smashed fingers or the like, I can actually concentrate on what I am doing and hear the outboard better when I go to start it/choke it.