Do you have any idea what you're working with?

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Do you have any idea what you're working with?

I think the point is really that the big corporations that were/are making this stuff should do more to ensure their products are safe to begin with. In the UK Asbestosis is often referred to as "Swindon disease" because of the HUNDREDS of cases here (I happen to live in Swindon, though luckily I never worked with the stuff) that are proving fatal-all who worked in the railway works where the boilers were lined with it.<br /><br />I guess the point I'm making is we may not all be 100% well all the time, but the ones that HAVE suffered from the effects of all the cr@p that's been thrown into us for all these years aren't in a fit state to tell us about it-or aren't here at all.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't know if this fits here but here's a little story that cracks me up. <br /><br />I go for an annual stress test. They inject me during the last minute of the test with some radioactive stuff that is supposed to show the blood flow in my heart better. Last year while injecting me the tech broke the syringe. All the radioactive fluid spilled onto the treadmill, my sneakers and the floor. They reinjected me then finished the tests. I had to wait a couple of hours to see the doctor. During that time I went to the mens room, walked around the halls, got a snack, etc. All of a sudden this guy show's up in the waiting room with a geiger counter. He checks me out and puts my sneakers in a red bag. Then he proceeds to trace my steps all over that floor with another guy blocking off corridors and posting signs to keep out. They acted like it was certain death to come anywhere near where I had been. My question to the doctor was "how bad is this stuff? They injected it into my body." His answer..."Don't worry it won't hurt you." How does this make sense? As I left the doctor's office I noticed they were scrubbing the floors and walls where I had been. The guys were all wearing those sci-fi suits.<br />They kept my sneakers for 2 weeks then mailed them to me with instructions to leave them in the garage or other out of the way place for 60 days before wearing them again.<br />I guess I'll just keep going and getting injected every year, it makes it easier for LF to find me in the dark ;) .

crab bait

Captain

MAN ,, that's messed up MR LF..if it flows thru your veins it's ok.. on the floor or on your sneakers ,, it's 'china syndrome'..<br /><br />maybe when you get to wear them again,, you'll leap small buildings in a single bound.. <br /><br />just one query,, you'd think it woulda killed the fleas.. :) ..<br />......................................................................................<br />there's been a couple BIG chemical plants thats been here for years & years.. <br /><br />oneday they just drag up an close down.. leaving everthing ..<br /><br />the state/taxpayers has to foot the clean up the near superfund site..<br /><br />ought to be a law.. escroe money.. something..

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Tinkerer:<br /> who knows what else coming off my cheap Chinese arc rods and the paint scorching off the trailer and the galvanising going off and who knows what else. My dry throat and the funny taste in my mouth is probably just imagination.<br />
There's some pretty serious stuff in all that. Keeping your head out of the smoke column would help minimize the amount of nasty stuff you absorb. A 20-odd dollar filtered respirator is good too if you're in a confined area without much ventilation. <br /><br />If you can't grind off the galvanized coating, drink a lot of milk. It helps flush ya out and avoid galvanic poisoning. A buddy of mine is a welder by trade, and that what he does. He sees guys get galvanic poisioning pretty regular, but avoids it himself with lots of milk, and keeping his face out of the main smoke/fumes column coming off the work. <br /><br />That taste is stuff you've absorbed from breathing in or absorbed through your skin***, and your system is trying to flush out anyway it can. You'll sweat out a bunch, maybe spit out some more. And what your kidneys can't get out, more or less stays in ya. <br /><br />*****<br />Seen all those medications & nicotene patches that let medications abosrb through the skin?<br />It works for bad stuff getting into your body/system through your skin too<br />*****<br /><br />I avoid them Chinese rods--- sort of like everything else they make if I can help it. I've had enough of 'em act goofy that I just quit using them at all. I also figure that Bubba and Lee Roy can make a better welding rod --or anything else for that matter-- than Won Hunglow or Link Thechink can anyway.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Mr.Ladyfish:<br /> As I left the doctor's office I noticed they were scrubbing the floors and walls where I had been. The guys were all wearing those sci-fi suits.
Over reacting maybe? <br />Nah, I'd say they were more concerned about their own 'transom' than yours. <br /><br /><br />Once they injected you, the stuff couldn't hurt them anymore. And pretty soon you'd take it away and be gone anyway. But; When you tracked it all around,,,,, you didn't take that bit of Radioactive material with you when ya left.<br /><br />The chemical once again became their concern, and you can see how well they want to take care of their own 'transoms'.<br /><br /><br />Really though,<br />Like X-Ray techs., they have to be careful/concerned about long term or prolonged exposure. Radio active 'material' I guess you'd call it, accumulates in the body over time as you're exposed to it. <br /><br />You flush it out and it goes away on its own too. The bit they gave you was a known amount. And you shouldn't get it again for a minimum amount of time. However, the stuff on the floor, not to mention if it happened again & again without being cleaned up, keeps accumulating more & more. And It becomes more and more dangerous the longer someone (such as a employee there) is exposed to it.<br /><br /><br />I have a Physics Professor buddy who once said, "There are no Toxic Chemicals. Only Toxic amounts of chemicals".