Do you have any idea what you're working with?

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just been doing some welding (or more accurately applying slag randomly to a defined area)on my boat trailer below the treated pine walking boards. Heat from the welded area charred the treated pine a bit. Smoke comes off the pine. After a bit more welding the pine oozes some stuff. I know you don't burn treated pine 'cos it's bad for you. But I'm happily working away in treated pine smoke and who knows what else coming off my cheap Chinese arc rods and the paint scorching off the trailer and the galvanising going off and who knows what else. My dry throat and the funny taste in my mouth is probably just imagination.<br /><br />I've worked occasionally with asbestos when it wasn't dangerous according to the companies which are now having to pay for the damage it did to countless people when it wasn't dangerous. <br /><br />I've worked occasionally with various farm and industrial chemicals, none of which I can remember, but I'm sure they were all harmless too. Like what was probably agent orange derivatives we sprayed on blackberries and other hard to get rid of weeds. Never used a glove or respirator.<br /><br />Read the instructions and ingredients on a can of spray paint and other workshop aerosols. Some of them could kill villages if sprayed in quantity from the air.<br /><br />MDF board is a known carcinogen of a very nasty kind and might be the next generation's asbestos, but a lot of people who use it in home workshops and renovations don't have the faintest clue about its dangers.<br /><br />Wood dust, and for that matter flour dust, is explosive in the right concentration in air with an ignition source. Hardly any amateurs know that.<br /><br />A lot of what we work with probably doesn't do any or much harm to people, at least if they're not genetically or otherwise susceptible to it, but I wonder how many diseases and deaths are attributable to the cumulative effects of an excess of bad stuff inhaled or absorbed occasionally by amateurs? <br /><br />We'll never know because usually there's no records of the stuff we've used and most of us couldn't remember it, but I suspect a lot of us are quietly chipping away at our lives by using things we don't understand or not reading the instructions carefully. And which the manufacturers don't bother telling us are risky in some cases.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Do you have any idea what you're working with?

Back in the 60s I remember the Street Department fogging the neighborhoods for mosquitos. We kids used to get a big kick riding our bikes in and out of the fog. Hopefully it was Malathion, but back then a lot of DDT was used. Either way... :eek:

cmyers_uk

Very true, <br /><br />Most people tend to read the warnings and not follow them. How many people spray small areas and dont wear a mask. How many people weld galvanized metal without the proper breathing mask? ;)

dolluper

Captain

Geez Tink how many lives have you used up ,on #7 or what

Tinkerer

Originally posted by Chris Myers:<br /> How many people weld galvanized metal without the proper breathing mask? ;)
Me. About an hour ago. Not to mention lots of other times. I didn't know there was a special mask. Does it save me if I've ground it back to bare metal to weld a nut on? Or am I the nut?<br /><br />At least I've proved the point about not knowing what I'm working with.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by dolluper:<br /> Geez Tink how many lives have you used up ,on #7 or what
Apparently I'm on #8 in view of Chris Myers' post, which I'd be just as happy if he'd kept this latest disclosure to himself. :D Ignorance is bliss, and I'm highly qualified in ignorance.<br /><br />I'll probably be alright as the beer has got rid of the dry throat and funny taste in my mouth, which were probably imagination anywyay.<br /><br />I should be well into #9 if the ridiculous theories and supposed research about alcohol and its effects on the human body have any validity. Clearly they don't or I wouldn't be here to type this.<br /><br />I'm not advocating recklessness in workplaces, but the fact is that a lot of people have worked with dangerous stuff with no adverse effects and some people have had the slightest contact with it yet have got horrible diseases. Asbestos is the worst example.<br /><br />There's probably a genetic pre-disposition to some diseases. If we could identify the people at risk and give them the choice of working with potentially dangerous materials we'd probably reduce the harm a lot.

Tinkerer

If the quote button wasn't next to the edit button, and if I wasn't an idiot, this post wouldn't be here.

dolluper

Captain

How far from Broad Beach are you don't want to close to any danger in the future

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I have breathed Methylene Choride and Xylene fumes many times at work. Both are cancerous and mutagens.<br /><br />If you melt any platic, you get toxins.<br /><br />Ken

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

My high school shop teacher gave this demonstration on why we shouldn't smoke in or around the wood shop:<br /><br />He took a hand full of fine sawdust powder from under one of the saws, walked outside, tossed it into the air and then stuck a lighter into the dust cloud. Poof! A big fireball rolls into the sky. Cool.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I wonder how much spray carb cleaner I have absorbed in the past 30 years:) gotta be at least a can or two. same as brake dust when working in a brake shop. or cutting oil when working as a machinist. or even decarbing fog :) .<br />hopefully beer can cancel some of the effects :)

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Eat right, excercise, follow the warning labels...DIE HEALTHY!!! that's my motto, I didn't know about the MDF, one more thing that can kill me. ;)

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Tinkerer:<br />
Originally posted by Chris Myers:<br /> How many people weld galvanized metal without the proper breathing mask? ;)
Me. About an hour ago. Not to mention lots of other times. I didn't know there was a special mask. (end of quote)<br /><br />Hey Tinkerer, at least you won't have to be embalmed when you die, Your Galvanized! :D

D

DJ

Our parents, mine included, breathed, lived with and handled all those chemicals on a daily basis and live to be a burden on the SS system.<br /><br />The trouble with todays society is that we dont:<br /><br />1. Know or count on our neighbors<br /><br />2. Get outside. We're stuck inside playing vidiot games.<br /><br />3. We don't heed the perils of eating fast food.<br /><br />Children today are fat, lazy, sarcastic and moronic. We have taught them that. Look in the mirror.

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

I fear the lawyers and the media that has caused all this hype.

crab bait

Captain

it's called 'thining out the herd'.. all we want is the strong to carry on ..<br /><br />heck, i gotta jump on pretnear everone..<br />i'm 6th generation delawarean.. i'm pretty much immuned to it all.. unless dupont comes up with somethin' new..<br /><br /><br />what gets me,, is if you smoke an get cancer.. the doctors say 'yep,, it's from smoking'.. <br /><br />an if'n you don't smoke.. 'yep,, you got cancer.. hereditary..'

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

Too many scare tactics. A school in my state was shut down for 2 days because a student brought some Mercury in and it was spilled. Next thing you know, some kid will bring in a chip of lead paint and they will treat the school like a nuclear blast went off.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

These days everything is dangerous including air.<br />One thing comes to my mind often is the methamphetamine labs. I have been involved in cleanup when it wasn't known how dangerous it was. Now the white suites are the only people allowed inside, but they only enter AFTER we uniforms go in and confirm what is there. Of course with no protective gear. As they say, the first to go the last to know.<br />My old high school was full of asbestos too. twice the ceilings fell in on the third floor and the first floor. Once was over a weekend, then other was during class. The dust that filled the building and covered everything these days would require a month of decon.

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I was a kid we used to play in the basement on rainy days and out of boredom we would beat on the asbestos covered pipes and pretend it was snowing. Our house was plumbed with lead pipe. The dairy next door got its water from a spring about 1000 ft away through a lead pipe….the farmer died a few years ago at 93 of natural causes. I can remember finding mercury in old thermostats and taking it to school, oh boy what a toy! You could rub in on dime and it would shine or you could put in your mouth and spit it out and watch the little balls roll across your desk. I think we need to worry about the kids today sitting in the house all day with their electronic toys and being deprived of an imagination and doing innovative things..

McGR

I used to have a buddy who had a bottle of mercury. I vividly remember playing with it on several occasios. Wierd stuff... Great Fun!