Do you ever give thanks for just how lucky you are?

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm not religious but in my own way I'm reminded from time to time to be thankful for what I have.<br /><br />I get irritated by all the usual stuff like bad drivers and stupid politicians and extreme views at either end of the spectrum and power cuts not being fixed in five minutes and long checkout queues and gansta rap music and so on and so on.<br /><br />But none of this really matters when I compare what I have with what a lot of others don't have.<br /><br />Sometimes when I turn on a tap I think how lucky I am that clean, disease free water comes out of the wall at the flick of a wrist. Not like a lot of the world's people whose first task of the day is to spend an hour or more walking with a jar on their heads to bring back a muddy sludge full of disease that is their water ration for the day.<br /><br />A couple of days ago I saw the girl in my daughter's Grade 6 who can't sit on the floor with the other kids in assembly because she has a wheeled walking frame that she gets about in awkwardly in leg splints. She sits up the back with all the parents in a chair because that's what she needs to get back into her frame. This girl and her parents are so happy with the school because it let her compete in running races, which she has no chance of winning but for the past few years she's joyously propelled her frame along the course, to thunderous cheers from everybody. The last school wouldn't let her run because of legal liability fears.<br /><br />When I'm in a supermarket thinking that it's terrible that lamb is $35 a kilo and we'll have to stick with steak or chicken at half the price, sometimes it strikes me that I should be grateful that I can afford any meat and that I'm surrounded by a vast range of the best quality food in the world at affordable prices which a lot of people in the world can only dream about.<br /><br />Sometimes when I'm in the country at night and the sky is clear and bright like it never is in cities, I look around and think how lucky I am that I can play with my boat and eat as much as I want and criticise our politicians and do pretty much anything I want. Yet under the same stars there are people who have none of that. Lots of them are starving or at least badly short of food by my standards. Lots of them have no health care for even the most serious ailments when I can go to the doctor and get pills and a certificate for a day off work for a bad cold. A few of them will be rounded up and lined up on ditches they've been forced to dig before they get a bullet in the back of the head purely because they were fighting against injustice and corruption like I've never known or can begin to understand.<br /><br />Maybe if I thought along these lines a lot more often I'd realise just how stupid it is to get wound up about most of the stuff that most of us spend most of our time carrying on about.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
Re: Do you ever give thanks for just how lucky you are?

Tinkerer,<br />Thanks for the lesson in humility. You are correct, there are those of us who have a LOT to be thankful for. The next time I feel some road rage coming on, I will think of your post. <br /><br />I am thankful that I have a loving family. I am thankful to have the healthcare available that I do. I am thankful that I am healthy, as well as my family, and we rarely need the healthcare available. <br /><br /><br />Thank You for reminding me of my priorities.<br /><br />AK Chappy

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by AK Chappy:<br /> Tinkerer,<br />Thanks for the lesson in humility. <br /><br />AK Chappy
I didn't see it, but you're right.<br /><br />It's essentially humility that I'm extolling.<br /><br />I don't go for the biblical sense of humility in submitting myself blindly to authority. Some of the other biblical and Christian senses of humility apply, being those of cultivating gratitude for one's life and gifts.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad I wake up every morning and then I think about those that won't. :( :(

NYMINUTE

Captain

Sometimes we simply forget how bad things could be. Eye opener. :(

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Tinkere.<br /> I to do not believe in organized religion nor do I belive some fatcat rich spoonfed thoroughbred in DC can tell me what is right for me and the world.<br /> however I am thankful daily for all I have.<br /> even on the days I am so swollen that I cant lift a coffee cup or walk . sometimes I even turn on Jerry Springer to realize I have no problems :) :) .<br /> but yes having been in places that have almost nothing and supporting a sister who spent 6 mos. in Hati and the dominican republic I am thankful for what we have here. I do not like the direction our current administration is going. the class action lawsuit bill is a major boost for large corperations, how funny. but no matter how bad it is here its still 100% better than anywhere else I have been.

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tinkerer,<br />saw something on TV the other day....on big problems mankind can encounter. Was this lady who bought 3 bulbs. It turned out only one " hatched" and she was mad as hell about it. After a 10 minutes rant the interviewer asked her "Did you see the problems they had with that Tsunami?" Tsunami, tsunami...what's a tsunami, Japanese bulb that always goes?" My jaw dropped for a full 5 minutes and then it dawned on me.....for some the world is never bigger than their backyard and for the rest it's a blessing when they stay there their whole life :D

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

I do not regard myself and my family as lucky. Yep, we were born in a Great Country. Yep, we have an opportunity that others may not.<br /><br />But, my family has prospered not due to our country, nor what my Government has done, but for what I and My Family Has Accomplished.<br /><br />We, as individuals, and who we associate ourselves with, are what and how we as American Citizens, create and build our wealth.<br /><br />PJC

Xcusme

Commander

Wow,.....<br /><br />I am VERY GRATEFUL to live in a country with the freedoms and opportunities it provides. These freedoms were EARNED and DEFENDED by others who gave everything they had (sometimes , their very lives) to uphold these ideals. <br /><br />These gallant souls ARE your country. Without them you would not have the chance at the lifestyle you presently enjoy.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Xcusme:<br /> Wow,.....<br /><br />I am VERY GRATEFUL to live in a country with the freedoms and opportunities it provides. These freedoms were EARNED and DEFENDED by others who gave everything they had (sometimes , their very lives) to uphold these ideals. <br /><br />These gallant souls ARE your country. Without them you would not have the chance at the lifestyle you presently enjoy.
Amen, Xcuseme!

gonfishn

Commander

Thank you Xcusme..That means alot to many of here..

aspeck

Staff member

Yes, what Xcusme said!<br /><br />Just got to the computer from reading a Bible story and saying prayers with the littlest aspeck. Together we prayed for the many blessings we have - clean water, a comfortable place to live, plenty of good to eat, etc. Many times a day I give thanks to God for the little and big things He blesses us with - regardless of how the day is going. It sure does do wonders at changing attitudes when we realize we could be much worse off, no matter what our condition is.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I thank God every day, even when I'm depressed because something doesn't go as planned.