Do VP 5.7 differ in winterizing procedures?

hostage

Lieutenant
I have a 5.7GiC-300-J VP w/ a DP. Watching videos it seems like a couple of the hoses need to be removed, though the confusing part is it looks like some have plugs you just pull, while others you need to remove some anti-knock sensors. I have been winterizing my 4.3L Mercruiser for years. Heating it up on the muffs for the thermostat to open, draining the block via plugs only, running a few gallons of anti-freeze before fogging the engine. As my 5.7L is a EFI the mechanic told me not to fog it. I see there is a mix of plastic blue plugs, very similar to my 4.3L, but also some metals ones. Do you guys have any links to any good guides on winterinzing the 5.7 that I own?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Depending on year will determine how many plugs/hoses to drain

However with all I/Os

To winterize

Change oil and filter
Drain all the water from the block, heads, manifolds, hoses, heat exchangers.
Service the drive and check alignment

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Your owners manual covers most of what you need to know. If you don't have a copy, you can download one here-----
Enter your serial number for the best results.

Once you review what Volvo recommends, would be happy to answer questions.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. Yeah. I wouldn’t fog that engine the traditional way. The same engine but in mercruiser form, actually has instruction in the manual now to run 2 stroke through the fuel to fog it. Avoiding havoc with sensors and throttle body issues otherwise.