Do trailer dollies really work?

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Do trailer dollies really work?

An interesting thread to read this morning, considering I spent half the morning yesterday pushing my 18.5ft I/O around the driveway. I pushed it out of the garage, halfway down the driveway, some manipulation to get her in the ?right parking spot?; all on the tongue wheel thingy. Result= legs sore and arms all rubbery feeling today. Unless those dollies magically reduce the weight by about 1000lbs, I don?t see them making much of a difference? lol.:D

I think the key is that the dolly has 10" rubber inflated tires where as the trailer jack has a much smaller plastic wheel. I went to a dealer today and tried moving around a 15'6" Ket West CC. I moved it back and forth with the trailer jack, but it took quite a bit of effort. When I used a trailer dolly with 10" rubber wheels, I did it with no effort at all. That sold me on buying a dolly.
Nightstalker

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you do end up getting one a couple things to note, keep the tires inflated to max pressure when using. Also I replaced the washers on mine with bigger fender washers(at the stress points) to help keep the tube from crushing in the middle and bending where the handle meets the frame that holds the wheels. They do work a bit better if you can have one steer and one push the load because where the handle hits you don't have max power of your legs. You can get things into very tight spots though. I always have to do all the trailers solo so I need any help I can get. I also made a mirror that attaches to the trailer tongue with a big magnet and a pipe, I can nail it first time every time now. Instead of the in and out of the truck five times to make adjustments. Probably my best homemade tool yet...

vintage boat junky

Seaman Apprentice

Freddy,

Did something go wrong? I use my riding mower to move my boat/trailer over the grass from storage to driveway and back again - about 100' each way. It works great. I can't imagine an easier way to move it.

That was going to be my response; I haven't needed it, but I've known many people who utilize this idea, and I can say it works great.