Do tether kill switches ever fail?

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer
Boat (Bayliner Ciera 2150) died yesterday while in the middle of getting on plane. The kill switch seemed slightly off (my knee may have hit it). I fiddled with it but couldn't get it to start. Do these switches fail in the stall pattern? It acted like it wanted to start but wouldn't.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Do tether kill switches ever fail?

Sure they fail, all they are is an electrical switch, just do some testing. With the key on, do you have power to both sides of the kill switc?

zbnutcase

Commander

If it acted like it wanted to start, its not the kill switch as that kills all ignition functions;it wouldn't even try to start

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If it acted like it wanted to start, its not the kill switch as that kills all ignition functions;it wouldn't even try to start
That's not true. When you engage the starter, the coil is getting bypassed with voltage from the starter solenoid.

Sounds like the tether switch.

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

It turned out to be corrosion on the metal above the rubber seal on the spin on fuel filter caused it to break seal, thereby causing it to suck air. A pretty bizarre failure if you ask me.

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

I was looking for an old thread and saw this one. The passage of time solved the mystery. Ended up being a fuel pump. It stranded me 3 times before it was properly diagnosed. Mechanic had to modify a Volvo Pump to get one that fit.