Do ski boats stay very level all thru their speed range ?

cyclops2

Banned
Re: Do ski boats stay very level all thru their speed range ?

The Chaparral is short 18.5' at the waterline & WIDE 8' . It waddles anytime off plane. Wind pushes the high bow a lot. The 5 L V8 does not help. Cut my losses.

Do the long skinney Slicque. It will be my own fun boat. The wife loves the very comfortable seat thruout the Chaparral boat. So to keep peace. It stays.

There is no budget limit on the Geezer boat.

QC. I think you have picked up on the plans what I ASSUMED. A warped bottom. It is really not that flat during the last 6' to 8'. I have already precut the bottom 23 degree frames for the last 8'. Could modify them to the stated angles on the plans.

Thank you for that Hawkeye observation. Need to try a reason wether to go with Rouge Boats Constant deadrise all the way. Or the plans modified V. Wish I knew more boaters that had some real design & on the water experience.

Still thinking.

Rich

cyclops2

Banned

Have a posting there also.

Thanks

Rich

A/C Guy

Cadet

I need a replacement for my 2002 Chaparral 186 SSI. It has a 5 L 220 hp V8. Just a pain to keep straight, off plane & approaching my 12" clearenced boat slip.
It has a 35 degree bow up during the "in the hole" time. Then zips fast to 50 mph. A 250 lb person flattens the hole angle.
I want a level accelerating boat. It should not wander left & right constantly. It should go straight.

Do any of the ski boats meet my needs ? 40 mph is fast enough.

Thanks

I bought an Axis A-22 3 months ago. It accelerates very flat, bow rise is hardly noticeable. It is extremely stable at any speed, the inverted shark fin does a great job keeping the boat tracking straight in all water and weather conditions, plus the hull design turns very flat; very slot car like. Try a demo on one and also demo some of the Malibu boats as well.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I think what Cyclops needs is a set of Bennett hydraulic trim tabs for his boat. They'd solve his bow rise problem instantly for $450. They're the best addition I ever made to my inboard outboard boat.

The prices on modern new inboard tournament ski boats is absolutely out of sight. How do you say "mortgage the wife and kids"? Prices of $100K are not uncommon on the larger boats.

Pros: Pull great, good fuel mileage (relatively), have very long lifespans.
Cons: Extremely expensive. They drive miserably--backwards and sideways in reverse, hard to drive in circles, steering rudder won't work without very fast idle.

These are special use vehicles--only for the most serious water sports athletes. They're not for the sightseeing lake cruisers.

If you think a special purpose boat will work for your family and friends, buy a used 10 or 15 year old SkiNautique. Use it a year or two, and sell it for what you paid for it. Then, decide whether you can afford the payment 12 months out of the year on a new boat.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I really think Cyclops is building a boat, a Direct drive inboard. I am a huge adjustable tab freak, but not really on tournament or small inboards, they generally stay laterally flat.

fibersport

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The prop you run also affects how the boat handles. I added a set of Bennetts on my 18' inboard, makes a huge difference on staying level during acceleration and on turns. I also changed to a Solas prop which made a big difference as well. I know this won't affect the OP as he has made up his mind but the info might help others.