Do it yourself T-Top project

auchandler1

Seaman Apprentice
Ok guys I have decided to make my own T-Top frame for my 18ft wellcraft. I have seen in another thread that off-peak made and he did a great job on his boat. I have always wanted to do my own thinking it really doesn't look as hard as you think. Just takes some measuring and some bending. I have decided to use 1 inch aluminum pipe which I was told is strong enough to withstand anything and is usually found on my boats out there. I will post pictures of my progress and let you see them.

My shopping starts today!!

auchandler1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Do it yourself T-Top project

Went out and got some 2 10 feet 1 1/4 size pipes to start out on the frame and I'm going to bend those tomorrow and put some support bars in the middle. I'll take pictures in the morning.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

I'm also building a T-top. As long as the weather holds we should be able to tig it together on Wed. I'm using 1.5in .o64 wall 6061 T6 for the uprights/bracing and 1in .125 wall 6061 T6 for the hoop. The weird tube sizes are due to it being leftovers from other projects.

It will be fun to see how these come together.

auchandler1

Seaman Apprentice

Change of plans...Instead of using the 1 1/4 inch I switch to a 2 in pipe and bent them today. Next up is I need to find tee connectors or somekind of connector to my base pipes to the canopy frame. Here is a picture of my somewhat finished canopy..photo.jpgphoto.jpgphoto 2.jpg

auchandler1

Seaman Apprentice

Update:
Waiting for my fittings to arrive in the mail and I will but everything together and then put her on the boat.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

I'm in a holding pattern on mine as well. Hopefully I can get a bit more done tomorrow.

auchandler1

Seaman Apprentice

So far slow but I'm about to begin it pretty soon. I have been working on a leaning post so far and finally go it on the boat. Next up is finishing the t-top