do I own a freak of nature?**dumbass alert**

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently bought a 1988 Peterborough 20' cuddy. It has a Mercruiser 4.3 with an OMC out drive. From what I've read here..mercruiser's come with their own out drive.
I had it out yesterday and it's hard shifting into forward and reverse so I am trying to research possible issues.

I have no idea what made me think it was a mercruiser..except we were talking boats and engines that day...who knows. I'm a dumbass.
redface.gif

Anyway..here are the pics.

viewFile.html

viewFile.html

viewFile.html

viewFile.html

viewFile.html

What am I looking at in regards to the cables?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: do I own a freak of nature?

post some pics to determine what you really have, serial numbers too

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Being an 88, the drive is probably the Cobra. What typically happens is people loose an engine for whatever reason and then replace it with anything they can find. Obviously they found a Mercruiser engine.
Yes, OMC and Mercruiser were competitors in the IO systems, but OMC went out of business in 98 and no longer exist.

Who knows how the shift cables and shift interrupt systems have been installed, or even if they were. That's where the pictures will help.

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's dark here now so pics will have to wait until tomorrow. I've been around boats my whole life but this is my first inboard so I'm flying blind here. :redface:

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

pics posted.

Don S

Looks like an OMC engine to me. Why did you think it was a Mercruiser?
Everything looks Oem. Except the nail in the shift cable linkage.

Bondo

Staff member

Looks like an OMC engine to me. Why did you think it was a Mercruiser?
Everything looks Oem. Except the nail in the shift cable linkage.

Ayuh,.... How'd the Mercruiser thought get into the mix,...

That's ALL OMC....

I'd toss, 'n replace those 1 piece manifolds,...
Before they trash yer motor.... 'cause they Will...

Don S

Ayuh,.... How'd the Mercruiser thought get into the mix,...

Read the first sentence of the original post. Thats how ;)

He also just added the pics to the original post today. See reply #5

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OP is a dumbass. lol
what will the 1 piece manifolds do? Just a huge amount of weight hanging off the heads? What can I replace them with?
Where should I start to look for my shifting problem? Once I get it in forward or reverse the throttle is smooth..shifting to neutral then to either forward or reverse is hard..

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Sorry Don,.... Quoted yer reply, but was askin', more myself where 86IROC came up with that thought,...
My Bad,...

'course, 86IROC then answered anyways,....

OP is a dumbass. lol
what will the 1 piece manifolds do? Just a huge amount of weight hanging off the heads? What can I replace them with?
Where should I start to look for my shifting problem? Once I get it in forward or reverse the throttle is smooth..shifting to neutral then to either forward or reverse is hard..

Those are the exhaust manifolds, 'n those are Known to crack, dumpin' water into the cylinders, costin' ya a New motor,...
The Fix, is to replace 'em, with a 2 piece manifold riser set-up....

Yer shiftin' problem, is probably the lower shift cable draggin', or just worn out....

Don S

The problem with the one piece manifolds is they tend to destroy engines when they fail. Usually it's in salt water. If you are in fresh water, it shouldn't be a problem.

Now, to your shifting, since you didn't mention the engine stalling or shaking, take the lower shift cable loose from the engine shift bracket. (the one with the nail holding it on) and see if it still shifts just as hard. If it does, you need a new cable between the remote control and the engine (the upper cable)

Bondo

Staff member

The problem with the one piece manifolds is they tend to destroy engines when they fail. Usually it's in salt water. If you are in fresh water, it shouldn't be a problem.

Now, to your shifting, since you didn't mention the engine stalling or shaking, take the lower shift cable loose from the engine shift bracket. (the one with the nail holding it on) and see if it still shifts just as hard. If it does, you need a new cable between the remote control and the engine (the upper cable)

Ayuh,.... Even in freshwater,... Get Rid of those things,....

A cheapskate Bud of mine, had dropped an OMC 4.3l into his ChrisCraft inboard with those things on it,...
Less than a month later, he was chasin' me down for a 4.3l rod, piston, 'n a set of those danm things, only Mercruiser branded....
I had what he needed, as Eric had smoked the 4.3l he had, 'n the hull got a V8...
I told the cheapskate, I wouldn't even put them on My boat, for free, but he Insisted...

So,... he put's 'em on, 'n the motor back together....
Before the end of that season,....
The motor was out, 'n he was bummin' used pistons, 'n rods again...

After he found a set of Manifolds, 'n Risers,....
We took a BFHammer the both the OMC, 'n the Merc manifolds,...
All 4 of 'em had core-shifted, durin' the castin' process,...
They're were Way thick in places, 'n Waayyy Thin in many more,...

Those things ain't worth but $.50 as Scrap,... they don't even make a good anchor,...
unless yer runnin' 'em,....
Then, I'll 'bout Guarantee, yer motor's gonna become an Anchor....;)

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: do I own a freak of nature?**dumbass alert**

thanks for the advice guys. I live up here in the frozen tundra..can I get after market 2 piece manifolds up here? Suggestions on which ones are good, ones to stay away from?
I'd love to have a closed loop cooling system to keep salt water out of her completely. Is it possible to convert to that?

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

my 2 cents, yank it out, sell it on e bay............. get a mercruiser. problem solved ..................

Don S

Is it possible to convert to that?

Yes, it's possible, but not advisable. The manufactures don't recommend you installing a closed cooling system on an engine with more than 125 hours or 1 year old. I would bet money yours is covered under that.
What happens is the tubes plug up with rust from the engine as it flakes off, and cutting of the flow of water around the tubes. Since you can't clean them, you replace the heat exchanger.
I have installed them on older engines and only have about a 50% success rate.

Understand one other thing before you get real crazy with buying stuff for that engine and drive. OMC folded in 98. No OEM parts and few techs that can fix drives. Plenty of aftermarket parts and conversions. It just costs money.

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, it's possible, but not advisable. The manufactures don't recommend you installing a closed cooling system on an engine with more than 125 hours or 1 year old. I would bet money yours is covered under that.
What happens is the tubes plug up with rust from the engine as it flakes off, and cutting of the flow of water around the tubes. Since you can't clean them, you replace the heat exchanger.

Understand one other thing before you get real crazy with buying stuff for that engine and drive. OMC folded in 98. No OEM parts and few techs that can fix drives. Plenty of aftermarket parts and conversions. It just costs money.
tks for the advice. :) I acquired a truck box full of spare parts most of which is another omc outdrive in many pieces. I have no idea if it's complete or whether or not it's junk. Break out another thousand eh! lol
I'm fortunate that I have access to a marine mechanic that has been in business for 40+ years..
I guess I'll be making a shopping list for this winter. What aftermarket manifolds would you suggest?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... The Brightside,... Is a Mercruiser refit is pretty easy on that hull,...

The transom keyhole is the Same,....

OMC had gone to the Mercruiser keyhole by then....

If ya really, Really love the hull....

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

good to know and so far..I really like the hull. Plus it was made in Canada..
I'll use the OMC till it craps the bed and go from there. :)

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

HERE are the manifold risers you need for your engine. As the guys up above said, do that right a way if you have the $, otherwise you'll be paying a lot more later for a new engine. How do I know this??? Because it just happened to me!! So I'm 7,700.00 lighter in the pocket book, since I sprung for a brand new 4.3 with an entire closed cooling system. Time is of the essence on this one.......Joe

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

HERE are the manifold risers you need for your engine. As the guys up above said, do that right a way if you have the $, otherwise you'll be paying a lot more later for a new engine. How do I know this??? Because it just happened to me!! So I'm 7,700.00 lighter in the pocket book, since I sprung for a brand new 4.3 with an entire closed cooling system. Time is of the essence on this one.......Joe

:eek: $1393. that isn't happening right away. I'll have to look around and see if I can find them up here somewhere.