Do I need stringers? none originaly

Q_ball

Seaman
i have a 14' Bedouin Javelin that i just removed the roted deck and waterlogged foam and it did not have stringers just used the foam for support. i want to add some before i redo the deck but i don't know what configuration they should be in(new to everything boating). i have seen some on other threads that just go from bow to stern and others with cross members. just want to make sure it's done right.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Do I need stringers? none originaly

Welcome to iboats! You have come to the right place.

Pictures of the hull without the foam would be a big help. Small boats with foamed deck supports were not uncommon in the 60's and 70's. The question I would have is where to mount the stringers if you want to add them. Often a hull has a ridge molded in where the stringer sits, but not always.

If it were my boat, I would probably install a new deck, cut a few big holes to pour in the foam and let the expansion out. Fill the holes with plywood and glass over the whole thing.

I'm sure others will have more options.

Q_ball

Seaman

Here is a couple pics of the partially done demolition. this did not have a bilge pump and the plug was at deck hight plus some one drilled through the floor to mount things and once the water was in the foam it couldn't get out so i plan on building a bilge bay into it during the reconstruction.

Attachments

• 95low.jpg
    95low.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 96low.jpg
    96low.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 97low.jpg
    97low.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If your going to put foam back in there's no need for stringers, without foam just put a couple in wherever you want. Just look at a couple of the finished projects and get an idea from them on where to put them.

On a small boat its not a big deal.