do i need a electric fuel pump?

letsbarbq

Petty Officer 1st Class
got a 200 on a 23 ft. boat. the gas tank is a floor mount one and the motor does not run unless i hook up a electric fuel pump. the previous owner said that the fuel pump on the motor is good and that he used the electric one because the tank is so far away from the motor.<br /><br />true? or false? how can i test to see if the fuel pumop on the motor is good.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: do i need a electric fuel pump?

False... <br /><br />To test the pump, hook it up to a portable fuel tank of some sort.. Disconnect the fuel line between the pump and carbs... Attach a piece of hose to the fuel pump outlet (the place you just disconnected) and route that hose into a jar to collect the fuel... <br /><br />Pump the primer bulb a bit to get it primed... Cranking the engine should produce a good smooth supply of fuel into the jar..

jdstephwacotx

Seaman

Snapper (or anyone)<br /><br />Should the squirt provided by the cranking of the engine be comparable to the squirt provided by pumping the bulb?<br /><br />Or should it be noticeably less?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Noticably less. Each pump of the bulb moves 4 ounces or so. Each pump of the fuel pump moves a few cc's at the most. But it should trickle consistently while running or cranking. It might take a few cranks to get things moving.