Do concrete barriers really work?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Do concrete barriers really work?

Ouch! I'da liked to have seen a picture from the other side of the barrier as well.

Twidget

Commander

4729710_200X150.jpg
<br /><br />Courthouses work pretty well also. :) <br /><br /> http://www.nbc5i.com/news/4729647/detail.html?subid=10101601

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I'd say that concrete barrier did an acceptable job! I keep wondering what that object is that flies off the truck at impact...maybe the hood, or a fender or something...

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

concrete k rails are dangeroua.....they impale lots of large trucks out here ,,,trucks hit them they move over a couple feet truck continues on hitting the exposed end of next k rail head on flipping truck into oncoming trafick happened to numerus trucks out here ........good news is they are cheap and lots of room for the contractor providing them to make money.....i like the soft ones that they engineered that got supresed because they wernt profitable

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

From the short clip, I would say the concrete barrier did its job. It stop the dump truck short and destroy it. That concrete barrier is reinforced with concrete pile that is driven into the ground and as you see it has more strenght.

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class

:eek: What a waste of a good running dump truck. :eek: :rolleyes:

D

DJ

Of course they do. We needed a study to determine this?<br /><br />Duh!<br /><br />NOTHING is idiot proof.<br /><br />Want to stop idiocy? Start prosecuting them.<br /><br />I would have no problem with a judgement that declares: "You are an IDIOT".

eeboater

Commander

Looks like something out of an episode of Mythbusters... hmm... I wonder...

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

uh yea big waste there .....unloaded truck with fiberglass front end slams into concrete pile reinforced 2 foot thick cement wall that is partialy embedded in soil....concrete wall broke....truck made in 196?...

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

quote:<br />Want to stop idiocy? Start prosecuting them.<br />-----------------------------------------------<br />If they prosecuted idiots, I'd probably get the death penalty! :D

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just like old trucks, wished It could have been a newer model. :rolleyes:

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

any guesses what was on the other side of the wall he was trying to get at................my guess is a daves big classic from wendys

tommays

Admiral

seems like a GOOD TEST to see if they will provide a building with the nessary saftey in todays world of car and truck bombers<br /><br /><br />tommays

achris

More fish than mountain goat

A study done it Sweden showed that if you what to KILL more people, use concrete barriers. If you what to save people and reduce accidents, use the heavy plastic barriers. <br /><br />The reason the authorities use the concrete ones is because they are cheaper, and don't need to be put back in line after an impact, just hose the blood off and you're ready for the next victim!<br /><br />Sometimes this 'cheaper is better' attitude really pisses me off!!!!<br /><br /><br />Chris................

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by achris:<br /> A study done it Sweden showed that if you what to KILL more people, use concrete barriers. If you what to save people and reduce accidents, use the heavy plastic barriers. <br /><br />The reason the authorities use the concrete ones is because they are cheaper, and don't need to be put back in line after an impact, just hose the blood off and you're ready for the next victim!<br /><br />Sometimes this 'cheaper is better' attitude really pisses me off!!!!<br /><br /><br />Chris................
Yep... but you're missing one vital point. In the long run it'd be a load cheaper to teach people not to hit the barriers in the 1st place...<br />Educating drivers as to the consequences of their actions (all of them-not just the ones that land them in a barrier) is IMO the cheapest lesson in the long run.

mattttt25

Commander

the video is not just a fun science project. it is advertisement for an ATFP company. not your standard jersey barrier, either. i watched a day's worth of these videos during an ATFP design and construction course i attended. very good news for the world we live in, as someone else said.