Do all compression gauges screw in the same depth without piston damage?

wickware

Lieutenant
Do all compression gauges screw in the same depth without piston damage? I feel I had a Sun Kit in the 70s that had adapters that would go different depths. The dia might have been the key of fitting the correct one. I always matched compression gauge threads with plug's threads.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Do all compression gauges screw in the same depth without piston damage?

They may screw in the same amount but as you have stated they also have varying lengths, with my new Stanlet gauge the end of it has both 14mm and 18mm fittings on the one plug insert, then there is another attachment which is longer.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Most testers are standard for regular plugs.
Some come with Different adaptors for different plugs.
I worked on a truck motor and the plugs were about twice the size and the threads were way big,18mm.
My kit comes with about 4 adaptors and 2 different size hoses.
The adaptors range from a 10mm to an 18mm.
I doubt you can screw in the fittings far enough to do any damage(now that I've said that someone's gonna screw up)

wickware

Lieutenant

My check along with matching thread?s lengths is to turn Small Engines by hand before testing. That?s due to having one mower?s piston to touch while turning by hand. I feel most are a standard size (except some large kits) but thought this would be worth mentioning.

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

A simple solution is to measure the depth of the spark plug threads and put a piece of tape on your tester the same depth...

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Most testers are standard for regular plugs.
Some come with Different adaptors for different plugs.
I worked on a truck motor and the plugs were about twice the size and the threads were way big,18mm.
My kit comes with about 4 adaptors and 2 different size hoses.
The adaptors range from a 10mm to an 18mm.
I doubt you can screw in the fittings far enough to do any damage(now that I've said that someone's gonna screw up)

Um jerry jerry you can if you screw the wrong adaptor in and crank it as it will hit the top of the piston.