DNA question

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: DNA question

Originally posted by Bassy:<br />Just a thought... but I know I won't say anything. I'll just keep this one to myself. I'll wait for a bigger win and keep this one in the "just in case file". ....<br /><br />Bassy
Typical female!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

There are 2 things that are decisive for the development of children.One is heredity and the other is environment.While the genes provide the raw material,environment provides the way which is decisive about what parts of the material are triggered and in what way.<br />One might say that older parents have more patience and maybe invest more time in doing things the right way for their kids.Or on the other hand,you might say that older parents lack the energy to go to great lengths in order to provide children with special experiences.<br />Go figure which is better and good luck trying to find out.

TilliamWe

Banned

rolmops, I'll let you know in about 17 years!<br />wife is 24 so I consider that young. I am 33, and I consider that "old". So we got both! :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Many years ago someone taught a flatworm to negotiate a maze, then found that the flatworm's descendants knew how to do it, too.<br /><br />That may have led to the notion that the flatworm's DNA was altered by the learning. It is still accepted by some.<br /><br />That experiment has never been successful with any other species that I know of, and no analysis of the flatworm's DNA was done. We didn't know of the existence of DNA at that time.<br /><br />It has been demonstrated that children RAISED BY middle aged persons, not necessarily their biological parents, are likely to be more disciplined and therefore more successful students. There has been no correlation to IQ found in those studies.<br /><br />Higher IQs tend to be the consequence of the IQs of a person's biological ancestors.<br /><br />Bottom line? Bassy is correct based on current scientific knowledge.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

JB, are you sure it was descendants?<br /><br />From what I heard of flatwork experiments, one flatworm was taught to negotiate a maze, and was cut up and fed to other flatworms. The other flatworms that injested the first subsequently knew how to negotiate the maze.<br /><br />Perhaps there were multiple experiments. I'm positive that injestion was the medium for transfering the information. However, it's very possible another experiment was done with reproduction rather than injestion.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You are correct, wilkin.<br /><br />My memory was flawed.

txswinner

Banned

and then they spread mad cow disease, right? DNA are at their best at birth.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I have 3 kids...No1 is 36, No2 is 34 and No3 is 11.<br />I am 58, and the wife 48. (N0 1 and 2 are from 1st marriage).<br />The last, No3 has it all over the others when they were his age.<br />I put it down to the maturity of the parents and the stability of their relationship in both personal and economic terms.<br />There is no stress on us regards finances. Everything is freehold, business is OK and the material things like furniture, vehicles, boat etc etc are all in place and replacing them is on an as-needs basis.<br />The little guy attends a private school, not because i believe it will make him smarter, but the discipline and positive attitude is there.<br />We live on acerage and he has known nothing different. TV has never been an important part of his life.<br />When disasters occur, I handle them quite differently to what i did with the older 2, because I expect them, they don't shock or worry me, I have been there-done that before. Learnt that 20 years later those things are irrevelant.<br />So personally, I believe genes/DNA etc don't change, the older parent is just more stable and experienced, and that rubs off on to the kid.<br />Disadvantages of having a youngster at my age:<br />helping with homework<br />supervising assignments<br />never being able to finds your tools<br />after school activities.<br />Benefits - well the house is always alive, and in a mess, and there is always a problem to explain.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip <br />I

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Bassy,<br />Surley, (sp?) hubby saw Jurrassic Park! you know DNA extracted from the dino blood in a mosquito! no matter how old and dried up He, oops, I mean it is, it's still the same. <br /><br />Unless He is a Flatworm<br />....sl