DNA question

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Okay, hubby and I were talking the other day. Yes, we talk alot and this specific day was one of those where we found something to disagree on. Yes, that happens too. Anyway here is the deal:<br /><br />Hubby says that if a couple waited until later in life to have children the kids would come out smarter because the parents would be more educated and experienced and their DNA would be better.<br />Bassy says no way! The DNA wouldn't be any different whether the couple had kids in their 20's or 30's or even 40's. DNA is the same.<br /><br />What do you all say? <br />Bassy

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: DNA question

I think you better send Hubby back to school. That's the same as saying that, everything else being equal, a child born later in the parents life would have a higher IQ because his parents are most likely smarter when they are older.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, that's what he's saying. I'm like,"No way!"

Dunaruna

Admiral

I may be wrong but I think the only way DNA can 'change' is either a viral infection or a couple of million years of evolution. <br /><br />I suppose in the not so distant future, doctors will be able to 'switch on' the smart gene - assuming it's there to begin with ;)

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> I suppose in the not so distant future, doctors will be able to 'switch on' the smart gene - assuming it's there to begin with ;)
Scarey thought.

SoulWinner

Commander

Check out this web site on DNA:<br /><br /> DNA Facts <br /><br />Or this:<br /> Another DNA site <br /><br />DNA is the result of the combination of the chromosomes of the mother and father. By your hubbys analysis, if you have children when you are older, they will be born with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Maybe even Alzheimers....

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

The DNA stays the same, it is the genes that changes with the growth of each parent. That is how the traits is handed down to the offspring. Studies have showed that the older the parents, the higher learning skills or IQ is of the offspring. At least that is the way I was taught and awhile back it was on the Discovery Health channel as well. Reasearch there Bassy to help find a more sound answer for yourself.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Huh? I was taught that genes are dependent upon the DNA. If DNA does not change, neither do the genes. Genes are specific arrangements of DNA and as cells reproduce, both resultant cells are supposed to be identical, having the same genetic makeup.<br /><br />I do recall, however, that there was a theory floated that RNA may hold the key to memory. I have no idea how that would be, or whether the theory has been abandoned, or what.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Bassy:<br /> <br /><br />Hubby says that if a couple waited until later in life to have children the kids would come out smarter because the parents would be more educated and experienced and their DNA would be better.<br /><br />Bassy
This statement may be supportable should it turn out that his parents were quite young when he was born. ;) :D

TilliamWe

Banned

I liked Soulwinner's response. That's the one I am going with. SS Mayfloat, I ain't buying that genes change.<br /><br />As far as studies that older parents have smarter children... have they taken into account all the factors that could make that true. Like...<br />1)Older parents may retire when their children are smaller, thus spending more time with them.<br />2)Older parents may have built up more savings, earn more money, and therefore can send their children to private schools that may be better academically.<br />3) Older parents have more life experiences to impart to their children. They are not learning about their own life as the they go, they got that figured out. So they can more concentrate on their child's development,<br /><br />See where I am headed??<br /><br />By the way, I am 33 and just had my first child. And I can already say that he gets more intelligent conversation from me than my niece did when she was born 8 years ago. Bound to have some effect.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a bio degree, and DNA does not change unless a gene becomes mutated through chemicals, ultraviolet light etc. Dogs dad is close to being correct. Our DNA is made up of genes that have come from both biological parents. So we have two genes for every characteristic that makes us up, eye color, hair color, height, etc. The one that we see it the dominant while the other is recessive and may be passed on to their offspring. This is why both parents may have one color of hair but their child has a different color(2 recessive genes were passed on to child).<br /><br />The worry of waiting until a person is older to have children is birth defects. Studies and statistics show that waiting (female)until after 35 yrs of age greatly increases the risk to the child that do infact involve genes. It has been a while since taking genetics, but I think the risk increases almost 30 times more likely to have a defect.<br /><br />You can change your hair color, but not your DNA :D <br /><br />I guess it would be possible to raise a smarter child after waiting. But this involves nurturing and not nature.<br /><br />Hope this helps,<br /><br />John

SoulWinner

Commander

John,<br /><br />I think you summed up in your post why it is more likely to encounter birth defects in older women. The older the mother, the more chemicals she has ingested or been exposed to. Granted, most people ingest most alcohol, along with nicotine, THC, LSD etc. when they are younger, maybe there is a cumulative effect over a lifetime of using cleaning agents, solvents, cosmetics, tanning, and other things, that causes changes and/or damage to the reproductive cells. Food for thought.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's tough enough keeping up w/ kid's when you're fairly young.<br />Why wait until you're half decrepid.<br />The smart thing would to be to get them up & out & making money before you get old.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

First mistake is that you and the hubby started talking. :D That only leads to trouble.<br /><br />You mean, you actually got him to pay attention to you. :D <br /><br />ONLY KIDDING!!!!<br /><br />Ken

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

To a point Soulwinner, I agree with you. I was only trying to express the fact that DNA does not change with our intelligence level as we become more/less intelligent or older. I then continued on to show that there are only a few ways genes/chromos/DNA may change, and not for the better, but for the worse. Just something to consider for anyone planning on having children.<br /><br />PS: Men's age affects this very very little. If there little guys don't make it, no pregnancy obviously. This being said, no man is ever entirely over the hill. :) <br /><br />John

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Yingling, you beat me to it...I realized when I looked at the thread again tonight that DNA is more like an arrangement of genes. I had it backwards! I recall something about Cytosine, Guanine, and one that starts with and "A" (Alanine?) and another starting with "T" (Tyrosine)? I don't recall what it was all about in detail though. The gouge I used in Biology was "GCTA"...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Bassy, <br /><br />I think you've got your answer. <br /><br />One for Bassy, minus one for Mr Bassy.<br /><br />Chris.................<br />Insanity is also inherited, you get it from your kids. :D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

DNA only gets worse with age due to defects caused by reproduction. You got what you got and it only breaks down as you age.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Okay. I knew I was right,but I won't tell Mr. Bassy until tomorrow when we're driving through the mojave desert in the 115 freaking degree heat on that nice 670 mile I-40 stretch."Hey honey, did you know you were wrong about something? DNA doesn't get better as you age... and I was right". He'll ask how I know and I'll say,"Well honey, all the guys on iboats say so". ;) Think that'll spicen up the drive a little? Oh sure it will. What's the fun in a 1000+ mile drive without getting each other pi$$ed a little? That just clears the air a bit. <br />Just a thought... but I know I won't say anything. I'll just keep this one to myself. I'll wait for a bigger win and keep this one in the "just in case file". Right Ladyfish? <br />Thanks ya'll for your input. My college science classes and teaching 8th grade science did teach me something and I actually retained it. Who would have thought?<br />Bassy