diy flush kit for i/o?

jeffz0rz

Seaman
im running a volvo outdrive and im wondering what others are using for a flush kit, or if others have made their own. i have a cheap plastic clamp style that is almost useless.

Re: diy flush kit for i/o?

My motor flusher or muffs have the steel U shaped connector between the rubber cups. It's around 20 years old, and works very well as far as staying put and supplying water pressure where it belongs. I think they still sell the steel muffs for around $10. I saw the plastic version at Walmart, maybe not strong enough for the purpose.

CHAWK46

Seaman Apprentice

I went to look at a Cobalt with a Volvo last month. The guy disconnected the intake hose in the front of the engine and clamped a garden hose to it. Seemed to work fine.

Mariah218

Cadet

2 Alternatives:

I have made a short hose that fits onto the intake of the raw water pump with a standard garden hose connection. 100% of water goes into the pump, no loss like with muffs sometimes. So i remove the feed from the leg hose and attach my short hose. Its very easy, but can only be done with the boat out of the water. Only Volvo owners should consider this option as the raw water pump is crank driven, not in the leg. For Merc owners, running the engine with raw water pump fed from a hose will burn out your impellor in the leg.

Other option is to purchase a 'brass t peice' from Volvo. The later models have a flush fitting which is tee'd into the raw water pump inlet, easy to do, but not sure how they ensure all the water enter the engine and doesn't exit the leg.

In either case, don't remove the raw water inlet with your boat in the water unless you are prepared with a bung or alternative. the water will rush in and quickly fill up your boat if you are not prepared!