DIY cement anchor

ztim

Chief Petty Officer
I've made anchors before using the coffee can type design. Are there any more out there? What kind of hardware goes into the can? I tried to find some on the net, but had no luck.
Thanks

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: DIY cement anchor

I have found them to be ok in still water, but any kind of current and they kinda roll on the bottom.
I always used a 4" long eye bolt cemented along with it.

erikgreen

Captain

Coffee can anchors are completely worthless on the great lakes, or on any boat bigger than about 14 feet in a wind.

For our 20 ft. inflatables we use about 25 lb. danforth types with 100-150 feet of rode in 30 feet or less of water.

Frankly, you can get a better anchor at fleet farm or wal-mart for $10 than you can make out of your average coffee can. They even have a cheap danforth clone.

But if you must make your own anchor, I'd suggest filling the coffee can with concrete... don't use lead, that's illegal in most places now. If you have a pile of old rusted nails or old bolts you want to get rid of, fine, but if you miss covering any with the cement you'll get a rusty mess that you may not want leaving stains in your boat.

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

I have made them from the bottoms of 25l tin cans. The can is roughly 14" in diameter and I cut them to be 4" high then fillled with concrete and inserted bent 0.25" round bar as the lug.

They stuck like crazy in muddy bottoms.

Andrew

tashasdaddy

Good point, you need the proper anchor, for the anchoring situation. the mushroom anchor also like mud with smaller boats.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

When I was young, my dad made one out of a 5 gallon bucket, he filled it to the top with cement and the thing must have weighed a literal ton. He had fun making it and then loading it into the truck to haul off to the dump because he realized it was far too heavy to actually use in his 12' alumacraft. :D

I'm thinking that if you don't want the standard ones, because they are too light for their size or something, then you could add some cement to them to bulk them up. I was originally planning to do that with a little 8 or 15lb mushroom anchor so that it would be heavier but still have the same diameter so it would fit in the anchor locker I was planning on making... but now that I've discovered electric anchor winches, I've decided to go that route instead, and forgo the anchor locker altogether, so now I can just get a bigger anchor in the first place. :)

Oh, if you're just making these for trotlines or something, then yeah, go with the coffee can thing with an eye bolt like SBN said. Just put a nut on the other end of the bolt so it's got something strong holding it in the cement.

tashasdaddy

i use to ride my bike to work , had a tall kitchen trash can, filled with concrete, and an huge eyebolt in it. no one stole the bike.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Concrete anchors don't work great, but in a small boat on a lake they do work. I made a couple out of six and eight inch pvc pipe, same as filling a coffee can, but the PVC keeps the concrete from chewing up the inside of the boat.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Concrete anchors don't work great, but in a small boat on a lake they do work. I made a couple out of six and eight inch pvc pipe, same as filling a coffee can, but the PVC keeps the concrete from chewing up the inside of the boat.

That's a good idea. You could even go with the pipe ends, they are pretty cheap and have nice rounded over edges, too.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Why not use a big tin 2 gallon funnel or something of the likes, just cap the narrow end off and fill the funnel up with cement, possibly have an eye bolt sticking out from the narrow end to attach the anchor rope to. I have a funnel like this but I don't have a picture of it to post. I believe it would give you more weight then a coffee can would, and it would be a different shape to it. If nothing else use the funnel to mold the anchor, then cut the funnel out from around it when dry. Now I'm tempted to make my own anchor lol, as if I don't have enough to do.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

I bet that'd constantly land eye-down due to the shape and water resistance while sinking.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I bet that'd constantly land eye-down due to the shape and water resistance while sinking.

Anchor-1.jpg

This is going to land Eye down :confused:. Filled with cement and having water resistance :confused:, how is that possible? I know the shape may have a little something to do with it but not much to matter at all. I recall a man saying on another thread that he hit a floating boulder lol, but we all know boulders don't float, and neither will this.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, just like this, because as it sinks water is flowing over the surface (wavy lines) which will make it point in the most aerodynamic direction.

Homemadeanchor.jpg

Of course if you hold the anchor line tight it will drop right side up, but I'm just talking about tossing it over the side.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I can understand it finally settling down on it's side and not the bottom, I figured you were talking about it landing eye down and staying in that position (up side down). I was sorta scratching my head on that one :D. I still like my little idea though, don't know about anybody else :p. Good grief here we are debating anchors lol.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

oh yeah, it would settle on it's side... unless it was a very soft muddy bottom. No idea how well it would work though.

makes you wonder, how in the world did they come up with the warbird?

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

I have been through this process. Concrete anchors are not practical, they rely more on weight than they do on holding power. The additional weight is exactly what I am trying to avoid in my boat.

Ztim, if you want I have scale drawings of the Danforth type anchor. I made three out of mild steel and had them galvanised. those went with my old boat. I am about to make three more, this time from stainless steel. If my memory serves me correctly each mild steel anchor weighed in at about 6.5 lbs. Three would probably weigh as much as your coffee can anchor.

My person opinion would be the versility of the Danforth type. If you can saw drill and weld ....... no problem. I had my components lazer cut, it is the most convenient.

Andrew

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Do you use your danforth for trotlining?

This is just me, but I could care less if my trotline anchor moves 50' from where I dropped it if I get a big one on, and I'm all about using the cheapest thing I can find for the trotline anchor. :)

(Note: I'm making the point here that not everybody's needs are the same, and therefore one style does not fit all)

m&m252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cement anchors ,sounds too much like cement shoes, SOPRANOS,etc...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,........

This is My favorite home-made mooring block,.......
DSCF1726.jpg

Ayuh,............. I Gotta Admit,..............
That's the 1st Mooring Block,.....I've EVER Seen,.......Wearing a PFD................. :D :rolleyes: :D
At 1.5cu.ft. of Concrete,....... I Bet it'll Almost Float................. :D :D

The full thread can be found Here,.......