DIY - Canvas Enclosure

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
That's what I was thinking . . . Thanks, Scott.
as an FYI, the rock guard I had made for the front window of the RV trailer is held on with 2 sail tracks and snaps in the corners. it holds on at 85mph

tpenfield

Staff member
Progress Update . . .

The sun finally came out today, but I hear that it is going away for a while this afternoon :oops: . Anyway, I got some of the canvas pieces set up for test fitting.
Looks OK. I made it bigger than the template I was using, but actually it is not too big at all, just reaches some of the snap locations.
.IMG_6008.JPG
IMG_6005.JPG
IMG_6009.JPG
IMG_6007.JPG
For the forward pieces, I needed to install the awning rail. It took most of the morning, but it is done. Since the arch is aluminum, I drilled and tapped the screw holes.

Here is a glimpse of the awning rail and the insert piece . . . The curves at the top of the arch were too tight, based on the 10" minimum radius spec of the rail. so, I made the corner in sections.
IMG_6006.JPG
IMG_6010.JPG
I just need to set up the front pieces of canvas/glass and get some alignment marks, etc.

But first, I made a pin-hole viewer to look at the eclipse . . . :D

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Looks OK. I made it bigger than the template I was using, but actually it is not too big at all, just reaches some of the snap locations.

:D
Dont worry, first time it gets wet, then the sun hits it........ it will shrink and you wont be able to snap it again......

airshot

Rear Admiral
I certainly wish I had your talents, skills and patience....I live in a very popular boating area and your talents could make me lots of extra boating money !! Nice work !!

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks guys for the kind words. . .

I'm back at my sewing machine for the next few days. Hopefully I can make good progress on finishing things up.