Distributor trigger testing.

jrbdjb

Cadet
I've got what I believe is a 1976 115 Mariner with a distributor trigger ignition. Is there a way to test the trigger using a multimeter? Suddenly lost all spark, I found how to test the ignition control box, and it shows to be good. I have power to the control box (red and white wires). Thanks

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
CDI electronics has a trouble shooting guide. If your motor is listed then it should provide testing instructions for all your ignition parts.

jrbdjb

Cadet
Thanks for the replies guys. After I posted my question I did so more checking. While the white wire on the ignition box shows power with the key "on" (with a test light), when the engine cranks the light goes out, leading me to think I may have an ignition switch issue. The throttle/shifter control is an old Merc, and is pretty bad worn and full of corrosion, including the switch and wiring.

raczekp1

Lieutenant
hi.
can you share any info how did you test CDI box in this motor.
i have the same problem,( motor is mercury 50, 4 cyl, distributor coil drive by belt) spark sometimes showns and gone.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Need to start you own thread racze..but your box has no power to it, it all generated in distributer.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The CDI electronics web site is the source of the test. Look for the right ignition system test for your motor.