Distributor Spring kit 5.0 GL

Heckas

Cadet
I just purchased a 2000 Four Winns Horizon 200 with a Penta 5.0 GL, PEFS. The boat has been sitting for a while and need some TLC before use. Main issue to get motor running is ignintion. I have through reading the manuals etc figured out it has the BID prestolite ignition. The distributor has corroded a bit. I took it apart and after cleaning it is in good enough condition to be used except for the springs controlling ignition timing. Volvo part # 3853858. I also found a crossreference to OMC # 985625. My issue is that this part is no longer available. The only way to get the springs is to buy the complete distributor which I would prefer not to do. The springs are really simple, if I had a 'good one' I could probably go out and find a generic ones that would work. Any tips of
1) where I might find some of these springs hiding
2) what I could use instead
3) I was thinking I might try locking the timing in one position just to see if I can get the motor running (for a few seconds). Are there any reasons why I shouldn't?

Thanks,
Henrik

WizeOne

Commander
Re: Distributor Spring kit 5.0 GL

What's wrong your springs? You might look about town. There are still people who have the old distrib machines and can check and adjust the advance for you. They had all manner of springs with the machine. Just take a copy of the curve for your engine with you and they can dial it right in.

Heckas

Cadet

WizeOne,

The springs seem to have taken most of the hit from the corrosion. They are pretty much corroded to no existance and broken off.

Henrik

Heckas

Cadet

Thanks Bond-o for narrowing it down for me :) I will search around and see what I can find.

I am new to owning a boat (if you guys didn't figure that out already). Is there a good place to go when no one else has the parts?

If I decide to replace the distributor I am thinking I might as well look around for alternatives. What do you guys recommend for my engine? Do I dare asking - Would it be the end of the world to use auto ignition parts?

Henrik

WizeOne

Commander

If I decide to replace the distributor I am thinking I might as well look around for alternatives. What do you guys recommend for my engine? Do I dare asking - Would it be the end of the world to use auto ignition parts?

Fix the distributor you have. New marine distribs, by Mallory or MSD, cost an arm and a leg. I know, I have been working on distrib issues for my boat.

Auto distribs are a no-no for two reasons. #1, they are not vented and as such, not safe. #2, most auto distribs are vacumm advance and do not nearly have the proper advance curve for marine apps.

You can also keep an eye out on ebay for a good OEM distrib for your app. Or as I stated earlier, find a local speed shop that has a distributor machine and a selection of springs that will bring your unit up to par. Manuals that I have seen show the proper curves for your motor.

JIGGER

Seaman Apprentice

Using ign parts from auto stores is cool but you wont find a dist. Just parts. Prestolite is good old school stuff. Im taking its single point set up? They used prestolite back in the 50's,60's and 70's on ALOT of v-8 motors. Most dist springs were set up with a light and a heavy spring. To get the curve right is critacle for eng life. It regs total advance and curve. Worth finding a dist dyno but that could be tough! A timing light might be your next best thing. Even some vac advances are adj. Good luck!

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

acording to Dennis Moore in his book sb chev marine performance ,a Delco Voyager ignition systen is nothing more than a distributor and coil from a 87 to 95 350 or 305 TBI engine . you will need a special wire harness to set the timing ,delco p/n 10486133. I have looked at one of these set ups and can find no difference from the automotive system

WizeOne

Commander

acording to Dennis Moore in his book sb chev marine performance ,a Delco Voyager ignition systen is nothing more than a distributor and coil from a 87 to 95 350 or 305 TBI engine . you will need a special wire harness to set the timing ,delco p/n 10486133. I have looked at one of these set ups and can find no difference from the automotive system

No vent for starters.

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

Went through the same exact situation a while ago, except mine is a 1986 3.0 liter engine (mercruiser). Long story short, I now have a prestolite dist. hanging in my garage and a used delco resides in the 3.0.

DougV>

Heckas

Cadet

Thanks guys for your input. Where can I find the timing curves? I looked through my repair manual yesterday and could not find it there.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

go with the delco, it has a good advance curve, 22 degrees ,starts at 600, all in by 3000, 10 initial gives 32 total. if you are worried about the vent epoxy a faucet screen over it. the one I looked at was in a Kodiak marine jet boat,it had just a vent hole identical to automotive

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is the advance curve (or specs) for the your distributor.
And just because some people have seen or they actually use an automotive distributor in a marine engine doesn't make it safe or ok, and a faucet screen is NOT a flame arrestor screen installed in distributors.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Advance curve.jpg
    Advance curve.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 3

Heckas

Cadet

Thanks for the curve Don. I will try to locate a distributor machine and have mine dialed in.

As for the alternate solution, Delco - Where can i find the wire harness to set the timing ,delco p/n 10486133? Or a description on how to make my own? Based on the info provided on this thread it does not seem to have the same curve as the std distributor though.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have your local VP dealer order you PN 885163, right at 10 Bucks.

The curve I posted is for the Prestolite BID distributor, NOT the Delco EST distributor.

Here is the curve for the EST.

attachment.php

Also, the "Initial" timing is what you set the timing at while using the shunt. The rest are controlled by the module in the distributor.

Here is a link to the proper method used to set the timing.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=271407

Attachments

• 5.7 EST timing.jpg
    5.7 EST timing.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 3

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ok I dug around the shop at work, found 2 delco distributors ,both have screened vents. also looked at a mallory marine dist. guess what, 2 screened vents. so whats the difference.I think Dennis Moore knows what he is talking about. incidently the dist that I looked at on the jet boat had a delco voyager sticker on it. if you decide to go this route I can tell you how to make the timing tool from a stock plug in. so in Dennis Moore we trust,all others pay inflated "marine" prices

Heckas

Cadet

Hi guys, Just wanted to let you know that I have been told that Crusader uses the same prestolite ignitiion and they still have the spring kit available (CRU37069). So I ordered it to the cost of $3.30. Much better to my vallet than a new distributor. Now I just hope you experts are not going to tell me the Crusader spring kit is different.

http://www.marinepartssource.com/details.asp?pnumber=CRU37069

Thanks for all your help.
Henrik