77 Evinrude 115 Hp Fuel Problem?

SEAN ALLISON

Cadet
Have A 77 115 Hp Evinrude Parked 3 Years Removed Carbs And Cleaned To The Best I Could Using Gumout Replaced And Tried To Start Had No Spark Replaced Retifer Now I Have A Nice Blue Spark But It Seems Fuel Is Not Reaching Spark Plugs Use Key Choke And Can Flood Carbs Fuel Will Run Out Of The Front Of Carbs But The Plugs Remain Dry Thanks For Any Ideas In Advance.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 77 Evinrude 115 Hp Fuel Problem?

Are you cranking the engine all the time that your chokes are on?

The chokes are not flooding the carburetors. The chokes plates just cut off the air so that your pistons pull more fuel into the intake manifold with the plates closed.

If the carburetors are flooded, it is because your float valves are not closing when the float bowls are full.

SEAN ALLISON

Cadet

No I Do Not Hold Choke Closed The Whole Time Im Cranking Engine Only For A Couple Seconds At A Time But Should The Plugs Still Get Wet And What Do I Need To Do To Set Floats Im Am By No Means A Mechanic. Thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

When the engine is cold, you need to enrich the fuel mix by keeping the chokes fully, 100% closed while cranking until the engine fires. You also need to have the engine at 300RPM, which takes a fully charged, powerful battery.

The floats need to close the needle valve when the float bowl is full. The floats should hang parallel to the base of the carburetor when the carburetor is held upside down. Be sure that the arm of the float is connected to the needle by the spring clip.

Attachments

• Float Valve Clip 2.JPG
    Float Valve Clip 2.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 5

SEAN ALLISON

Cadet

thank you for the information. I removed carbs and found top float setting low adjusted to be paralle.As good as i could by eye. Will replace and try to start tomorrow after work and will let you know . thanks again, sean

SEAN ALLISON

Cadet

I Installed New Float Seat, Valve ,pin And Clip Adjusted Floats Tried To Start But Carbs Still Flooded But I Did Get It To Fire A Couple Times Not Close To Starting But At Least It Fired I Do Have A Brand New Marine Battery Charged It For 2 Hours Just To Make Sure It Was Fully Charged. Can The Floats Be Bad?or Should I Try To Adjust Again But Which Way?they Are Level With Gasket Surface When Turned Upside Down

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

When you had the carbs apart for cleaning, did you remove the high and low speed jets and check them for debris? Also, did you spray carb cleaner through all the jet passages to be sure they are clear?

SEAN ALLISON

Cadet

No I Did Not Remove Jets, But I Did Spray Any Openings I Used A Whole Can Of Gum Out On Each Carb So I Would Remove Anything I Could With Out Going To Deep Never Rebuilt A Carb Not To Much In Mechanics.i Do Have Rebuild Kits But Can Not Find Someone Local To Rebuild Them

SEAN ALLISON

Cadet

Ok I Have Removed Reajusted Floats Several Times.and Recleand These Carbs I Can Do It With My Eyes Closed,and They Still Are Flooding.thinking Maybe I Can The Floats Be Bad?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The floats could be bad. New ones come with the OEM kits from BRP. Usually it is not the float, but the needles.

Once the float bowl is full, the rising float should cllose the needle valve so that no additional fuel enters until the pistons have pulled enough fuel through the carburetors to drop the floats again.

If the rubber tips on the needles are worn or damaged, fuel will continue to enter, flooding the carburetors.

SEAN ALLISON

Cadet

I Did Not Buy Oem Kits So No Floats My Fault But Did Install New Needle And Seat Result Flooding

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Are you indicating that the flooded carburetor problem started after the rebuild? Are both carburetors flooding?

ftltony

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I Did Not Buy Oem Kits So No Floats My Fault But Did Install New Needle And Seat Result Flooding

Pour a quart or two of gas in a plastic container and put the floats in the gas. If they don't float, they are bad!

In addition, when you have your carbs put back together, hold the carb upright, just like it would be mounted on the motor and blow into the hole where the gas goes into the carb. You should be able to blow into the hole. Then turn the carb upside down and blow into the same hole. You SHOULDN'T be able to blow into the hole because when you turn the carb upside down, the needle SHOULD be closing off the gas flow.

If you can blow into the carb when it is upside down, something is wrong!

SEAN ALLISON

Cadet

Yes Flooding Happened After Rebuild And Yes Both Carbs Are Flooding,i Did Not Try To Start Motor Until Carbs Were Cleaned The Motor Has Been Sitting For 3 Years And I Belive They Were Full Of Fuel All That Time

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds lke you may have the wrong needle and seart in that carb.

double check the part number you ordered for your rebuild kit,
also something to keep in mind, parts can and often do get sent incorrectly,
you may have recieved a wrong kit for your carbs.

the engine needs to spin at 300RPM to make enough voltage to get a correct amount of fire from the coils.

The old v-4 are good dependable engines, althoug a little thirsty on the gas.

have you done a compression check? that will tell alot about the engine also.

without compression it will not start, only spit and sputter