Distributor / Ignition Questions

mguidry629

Seaman
So I bought the boat with an auto HEI Distibutor. I know of the safety concerns and I want to remedy this, but would like to stay with HEI or some other all inclusive distributor. What Marine HEI distributors are out there? Budget oriented, please. And how much power will I gain seeing as the timing curve should be much more in tune?

I've seen the ChevProMarine's on Ebay and other sights for $200-$250 and the D.U.I. for $350.

It's for the Chris Craft in my sig...5.7L small block.

Link to ChevProMarine $200 distributor
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ChevCruiser...1&prg=1005&rk=4&sd=370459821183&#ht_711wt_781

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Distributor / Ignition Questions

I would avoid off the wall marine distributors. There is little troubleshooting information on some of those, and not many people knowing anything about them, and parts might be hard to get.

Stick with a known good distributor like the EST. Merc, Volvo, Marine Power, Crusader, and others use it, and it's well documented and parts are easy to come by.

As an example, 5.0L (305 ci) Delco Voyager EST Marine Electronic Distributor Kit

mguidry629

Seaman

Thanks Don. I guess I will stay away from the ChevProMarine and the like....So the DST in the link will work with 5.7L correct? I'm guessing $350 is as cheap as it gets for a good known ignition system?

Any ideas how much the timing curve on the HEI I'm currently running is restricting me? I'm only turning 4200 RPM on a good day with a 21p prop and I'm trying to select a new prop, but I don't want to start prop shopping if I need to get a distributor first. If the distributor will cure the RPM woes, and get me in the 4600 range with my 21p prop then I may not need a new prop. I'm just trying to get the most out of this motor which runs great as it is.

Maybe someone can help me decide how fast and/or efficient this boat is capable of with the 260HP motor? It's 2800lbs dry, 1.5 gear ratio, 80 gallon tank, normal load of 2 adults and 2 kids (500lbs) and the normal gear. I'm topping out at 4200rpm and 45mph on a good day.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Any ideas how much the timing curve on the HEI I'm currently running is restricting me?

Only you know what you have now, how would anyone else know what the timing curve is for what you have. I really doubt that's your problem anyway.

I'm only turning 4200 RPM on a good day with a 21p prop and I'm trying to select a new prop, but I don't want to start prop shopping if I need to get a distributor first. If the distributor will cure the RPM woes, and get me in the 4600 range with my 21p prop then I may not need a new prop. I'm just trying to get the most out of this motor which runs great as it is.

Here is a list of things that can cause low rpm at WOT.

http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...ives/list-possible-causes-low-wot-295070.html

mguidry629

Seaman

I know it's hard to diagnose these things on the internet. I was just looking for any insight on how an HEI Automotive distributor would affect performance on a marine engine. It has the vacuum port that is not hooked up, so I figured the timing advance curve can't be ideal. Is this no big deal? Not a performance killer?

I just don't want to test out 3 or 4 props and then buy a prop, just to change the distributor later and find out my new prop is not right. The boat is basically new to me, so I'm just trying to get it running safe and efficiently. I think 4200 is acceptable Max RPM for this motor, but I'd rather run it on the high side of 4200-4800, assuming my prop slip will reduce from the 20% it's now running.

matt167

Rear Admiral

A lot of Cheap HEI's won't fully advance or have mismatched springs. Could be the case with the 1 you have. An automotive SBC HEI only costs $50 off Ebay so they are quite common.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Hard to believe, but here is a complete Delco set up (brand new, complete kit) for only $180. I have bought from them before and have had good experiences with them.

mguidry629

Seaman

Thanks for the link....I guess you have to call to order?