Dissembling a Mercury alpha 1 SE drive

Em McClean

Recruit
Hey there, I’m a new marine mech apprentice and have found myself with some personal projects for my RCSCC,

I’m dealing with a Mercrusier drive and reverse is no longer working. It still shifts but when I spin the prop I hear keying and it spins freely both ways (neutral).

There was a fair bit of metal in the gear oil and I seek to remove the drive shaft and check the gears incase the reverse gear was grinded down.

Im working to get the drive off and I’ve gotten as far as the retainer nut (had to break it off) and now im at oil seals and the bearing carrier, but can’t seem to get it off…. Any advice?

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
Im working to get the drive off and I’ve gotten as far as the retainer nut (had to break it off)
Is the drive off the boat?
You broke the drive shaft retainer nut or something else?

Post a pic, select "attach files" below and then up load pic

Em McClean

Recruit
Here is the diagram, I’m trying to remove 69 and 67

Attachments

• 8530EA9A-9D68-4700-B1FC-85710995B051.jpeg
    8530EA9A-9D68-4700-B1FC-85710995B051.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Hey there, I’m a new marine mech apprentice and have found myself with some personal projects for my RCSCC,

I’m dealing with a Mercrusier drive and reverse is no longer working. It still shifts but when I spin the prop I hear keying and it spins freely both ways (neutral).

There was a fair bit of metal in the gear oil and I seek to remove the drive shaft and check the gears incase the reverse gear was grinded down.

Im working to get the drive off and I’ve gotten as far as the retainer nut (had to break it off) and now im at oil seals and the bearing carrier, but can’t seem to get it off…. Any advice?
I found removing my bearing carrier was best to soak with kroil and be paitent applying some heat to outside of gear case. Pulled right out with a good size gear puller after getting the case warm enough to expand. It was enough heat to just start bubbling the paint.

Em McClean

Recruit
Welcome

Is the drive off the boat?
You broke the drive shaft retainer nut or something else?

Post a pic, select "attach files" below and then up load pic

Attachments

• AFB1B7AD-E4BB-4A71-B3C4-73A33C2689AD.jpeg
    AFB1B7AD-E4BB-4A71-B3C4-73A33C2689AD.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Pop drive off and get it on the bench soak penetrating oil between carrier and gear case, apply heat liberally to outside. The heat is key

alldodge

Staff member
To remove the drive, place the throttle handle in full forward position. Do not use throttle only mode, you want to shift the drive into forward

Lower drive and remove the six nuts on drive, and 4 on cylinders.

Pull drive off, then separate the upper and lower

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the lower gears never grind down they just break. Pull the top cap and see if the teeth are missing on the upper gears there first.

Drivewayboater2

Petty Officer 1st Class
get the lower off… make sure it’s in forward as alldodge says.
the carrier looks mighty corroded. Soak heat soak heat. it took me 2 weeks.
there are several puller methods. I ended up making my own from a heavy flywheel puller with lengths of 8 “ flat 1/8” steel. The original puller didn’t allow for the extension to the end of the prop shaft. There are other methods ( you tube will be your friend) . Good luck. Welcome to the forum.

Em McClean

Recruit
How much metal are we talking ? Any pics
The oil on the bottom is what was sitting on the top so clean, and the more cloudy stuff was what came out of the bottom, there was quite a bit of metal shards stuck to the drain screw

Attachments

• 0D1BCAD8-C683-43C7-A0D2-74C643BD7670.jpeg
    0D1BCAD8-C683-43C7-A0D2-74C643BD7670.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19

Bondo

Staff member
The oil on the bottom is what was sitting on the top so clean, and the more cloudy stuff was what came out of the bottom, there was quite a bit of metal shards stuck to the drain screw
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... Unless you found chunks if metal on the drain plug, I believe yer probably lookin' in the wrong place for yer problem,....

Have you pulled the whole drive off yet,..??
When you do, try shifting it by hand, before you go any deeper, as sloppy shift linkages are a better bet to find the real problem,.....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Agree with bondo there. Why I was asking about how bad. If it’s just a wee bit on the drain screw magnet. It’s pretty normal on these things. Just with the harsh way they almost straight cut or dog clutch engage. If she’s got anything chunky and serious in the gear oil though. That’s maybe a concern.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
A bit of fuzzy shavings are normal. sometimes I’ll see a small flake also. Your oil is milky and more than likely has a leak. When re-sealing the tech will inspect the gears bearings and such. Without the proper tools it will be difficult.