Dishonest fishfinders & irrefutable proof!

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Occasionly I catch my fishfinder in an outright lie, up until this morning I was never able to prove it. Oh sure theres been times when I thought there was fish marking on it and not a nibble...but how do ya prove they were really fish? Then there are times I am certian when it marks a fish it was the exact same fish that came across the screen earlier...In a diffrent part of the lake! But sometimes I misplace my keys...Was it really the same fish...I think, but once again how do ya prove that sort of thing?<br /><br />Then this morning I'm out on the lake looking at that lying piece of electronics like I always do and what do I see...Nothing. That's right absoultly NOTHING. Just 12' of water between me and the bottom, no weeds, no baitfish (Iknow what baitfish look like on it cause I seen a picture of them once in the manuel)no fish nothing. And then it happened...A FISH...No not on the fishfinder...ON MY LINE!!! { I don't wanna hear the jokes yes I caught a fish}<br /><br />I have suspected for years that thing was lying to me and this morning I proved it...certianly mine is not the only story like this, if one fishfinder will lie they ALL are capable of deception.<br /><br />Be warned: DON'T TRUST THEM!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Dishonest fishfinders & irrefutable proof!

Never used them to find/see fish, always just used them for depth.<br />I always catch fish. :D

one more cast

Captain

yup, they sure do lie. And congratulations on catching a fish.

KaGee

Admiral

Ya have to re-cycle the video tape once in a while so you get different pictures on the screen! :p <br /> :D

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

neumanns, congrats on the fish...and it's lucky you remember what the screen looked like when you caught it...here's some advice from an "expert" on my local fishing board on using fishfinders:<br /><br />
...and most importantly, when you catch a fish, make a mental note of what the screen looks like...that's what you want to look for...

SpinnerBait_Nut

So if what jtex says is true, then never turn it on or what the use to have one? :D :p

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

read more carefully, SBN, it has to on, with a clear screen. "no weeds, no baitfish, no fish nothing" ;) It's the emptyness that tells you fish are there!<br /><br />or get yourself one of these K9 fishfinders:<br />
5736001-R2-017-7.jpg

SpinnerBait_Nut

Same difference ain't it?<br />On with a clear screen or not on with a clear screen. :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep<br /> mine is programmed to give a big fish alarm periodically just to keep me interested.<br /> its a conspiracy perpetrated by the white house :) gotta blame someone :) :)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Yeah, my finder has filled me with hope, then bitter disappointment. I never look at the symbols, just the arches. I know it is working, but I do mainly only use it for depth, structure, or thermoclines & stuff like that. I have never hooked a fish when the finder is showing anything. Not that it matters, it is big arse lake trout I am usually trolling for, and they usually see the flasher from outside the cone and hit the lure anyway. And yes, it is a conspiracy. GW has a central fish finder control in the white house just to drive us rich honky fishermen nuts...

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

I've never used one :( Do you actually see the fish? It was my understanding that fishfinders are used merely to locate underwater structures :confused:

chugger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

They do lie. My brother and I were discussing how they do it and we figure they use a random fish generator in combination with a periodic timer to ensure that you "see" at least 1 fish every few minutes.<br /><br />We just use ours to see how deep the water is. If we catch fish at a certain depth we stay in that depth. Most of the time we keep the sound off but if there's a lull in the conversation we'll turn it back on just for the background noise.

gonfishn

Commander

I fixed my problem i turned off the Simulator :D <br /><br />Nice to see ya back on John..Was it a Musky?..My bad thats a rare fin when we fish together..

Link

Rear Admiral

Well its always nice to know your not alone on some things.<br />We always take our LIAR with us :) <br />As a rule of thumb with our Lawrance if it doest show fish we dont get bites. <br />They also work good for checking the depth of of our down rigger balls! :D

crab bait

Captain

there's some on this board that'll tell ya you just don't know how to read it..<br /><br />take a bait like a big spoon .. jig it up/down under the cone.. see if'n you see..

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

All the time, Crabby... Them big jigs always show up..

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Elmer Fudge:<br /> I've never used one :( Do you actually see the fish? It was my understanding that fishfinders are used merely to locate underwater structures :confused:
I use my fishfinder to find fish, and catch fish that I see on the screen.<br /><br /> check out this thread

steamboatwilly

Petty Officer 1st Class

My fish-finderl show a two-inch long fish from a thousand feet away.

brother chris

Commander

I do not have a fishfinder and I still catch no fish. <br />I do have liars on my boat who tell me that we will catch some fish. <br />Are they the same as a fishfinder?