Discussion Topic: Flippin' (tin) Starcrafts

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Discussion Topic: Flippin' (tin) Starcrafts

Many years ago there was a company that took old Starcrafts and completely rebuilt them. They would remove all rivets and reseal and put them back together. They were selling these old boats as rebuilt from the ground up. They had a website that showed the process and it looked great. I have searched for the website and the company but have had no luck finding them. They must have gone under. Perhaps they were ahead of the times as I could see a market for this service and for parts. Would people order a finished transom with instructions on replacement? Would people buy a rebuilt hull that had a 5 year warranty against leaks?
GLG

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I have searched for the website and the company but have had no luck finding them. They must have gone under. Perhaps they were ahead of the times

Maybe all the guys around here put em under?

:)

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I saw an ad somewhere recently of a guy with a 22' V-5 who claimed the hull was rebuilt like Puget was saying, but it was done at the Starcraft factory....

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I saw an ad somewhere recently of a guy with a 22' V-5 who claimed the hull was rebuilt like Puget was saying, but it was done at the Starcraft factory....

can you say Insurance claim? lol

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have flipped around a dozen boats the last 5 years from 5' Wooster Hellions to 25' 5000 pound cabin cruisers. All was sold on craigslist but none of them was bought from craigslist. The only boat I ever bought from craigslist was the one I kept to use, my Starchief. The trick I learned was to buy from boats from peoples back yards who was computer / internet illiterate and estate / consignment auctions. Buy them cheap enough that at worst case scenario, you can part them out and break even. Take them to the car wash, paint the trailer if needed, make an attempt to get engine running and throw it on craigslist. If engine is junk, be honest with the buyer and tell them what is wrong in the ad. I do the same buying and selling strategy with small outboards 15 hp and under. I have never done more work to a boat than routine maintenance. I am one of the few people I know of that has actually made a profit from my boat hobby. My main goal has always been for the hobby to pay for itself. Always remember it is a hobby, not a business.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

AMEN S E I did that with-j the last 2 Big water Glas-ply boats bought real cheap and sold for a very good profit. Not counting labor. This is something that gives me pride in what I do . I will never sell a boat with promosses I would not back up. Its like our show Dogs my wife campaings and sell a few every year. Has to pay for its self and fully guarenteed that is its not quality we won't sell it. I'v scraped out a few boats and motors I can not rely on , there is a Marine tec. Course at our local college that is always glad to accept donated motors which I claim as donated on my taxes. Works for me. I did have one laugher ( N0W ) a 19 Glassply with a 120 IO Mercruser got the boat all ready and the motor in top shape had about $3500 in it and could not get it to run cool enough for me. Sold it for 3200 and followed it thru the last 2 resales I know of One for $3500- another for $3500. I also had an excess of $3400 in Marina repair that did nothing to improve the boat I had to eat or go to court over. Don't have time for that crap. Up to 2 years ago a ok hobby but any more even here on the west coast lucky to get $ spent back. So only do a one at a time for fun on any I know i will get my $ back from at least.

64osby

Admiral

All this talk has got me thinking maybe I should find a decent tinny with a bad OB, mount my 135hp on it and come spring sell the package and not the parts.

I've started looking, don't tell my wife.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I've started looking, don't tell my wife.

If she asks me I'll rat you out in a heartbeat.

I have enough trouble of my own. As if I need to be on Mrs. 64's list too:rolleyes:

Happy hunting :D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

All this talk has got me thinking maybe I should find a decent tinny with a bad OB, mount my 135hp on it and come spring sell the package and not the parts.

I would absolutely do that.

Fastwin548

Seaman Apprentice

I've moved through about 8 projects in the last 8 years. I've done this fund my boat hobby and managed to stay in my wife's good graces in doing so. Two things I've learned. Buy right, sell right and don't quit your day job. The local market is going to dictate what your project will bring (most folks aren't going to pay $1000 to ship a $1000 boat). I keep a watchful eye on about a fifty mile radius of what's being sold/bought and for how much and look for an opportunity to attract a buyer and don't sell junk. I don't paint and I don't rebuild engines. If the engines don't run, I check compression. If it's bad or uneven, I buy them like I'm going to repower. The project doesn't have to win a beauty contest, but it should be clean with reliable power. All my engines leave with good compression, fresh carb rebuild and new impellers. I also include PFD's, anchor, lines and extinguisher. Spend the $150 for new or next to new (looks better). Water test - If I wouldn't take my kids out in it, I won't sell it. Lastly, clean titles, current registration, documented work and manuals. Be patient, especially now with the current market, quality attracts quality. Bottom line: never lost money, no complaints from buyers and I enjoy it.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Does anyone remember a person from Post Falls, Idaho. I communicated with him a couple times on here but can't remember his user name now. If memory serves me, as it normally doesn't, he had a chieftain. Could be some like to flip before they finish. Haven't seen him on here in a long time, not sure if this is his or not. http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/2658603736.html

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Hey You Good AM looked at this last night. I thought it would be a nice boat for the big water. Very clean and looks well kept. Almost sent email to ask what he expected to get for it. Just like a car never let the salesman get a figure from you as to what you will pay. We are cooler here but some Sun today. The boat has the dreded white leg but I have had two in the past and never abused it. Never had any issues with them.. ED

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Yea, it'd be a great boat. But it looks real familiar to me. I remember a guy from Post falls, he fished in CDA, and he was fixin up, I think, a chieftain. Haven't seen him on the boards recently, and I was wondering if this was his. Not sure how you would look someone up, only knowing their location.

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have flipped around a dozen boats the last 5 years from 5' Wooster Hellions to 25' 5000 pound cabin cruisers. All was sold on craigslist but none of them was bought from craigslist. The only boat I ever bought from craigslist was the one I kept to use, my Starchief. The trick I learned was to buy from boats from peoples back yards who was computer / internet illiterate and estate / consignment auctions. Buy them cheap enough that at worst case scenario, you can part them out and break even. Take them to the car wash, paint the trailer if needed, make an attempt to get engine running and throw it on craigslist. If engine is junk, be honest with the buyer and tell them what is wrong in the ad. I do the same buying and selling strategy with small outboards 15 hp and under. I have never done more work to a boat than routine maintenance. I am one of the few people I know of that has actually made a profit from my boat hobby. My main goal has always been for the hobby to pay for itself. Always remember it is a hobby, not a business.

Here is an example for you guys.
Bought new boat at estate auction this morning. 1969 23' Thunderbird Iroquois cabin cruiser (the boat in flipper but square windows), hard top, head, outside sink and refrigerator. Mercruiser III 327 Chevrolet V8 with through the hull exhaust. Can't wait to hear it. Brand new trailer tires with stickers still on them. 2 brand new custom made aluminum fuel tanks for the gun whales. Original seats and cushions in perfect shape, solid spotless original floor. Really nice manual mechanical power tilt Gator trailer. Been stored in pole barn 25 years. $500
2011-10-22_14-02-12_525.jpg
2011-10-22_14-19-29_79.jpg

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would have been too afraid to post those pictures on here before if it had not been for the "To the starmada" thread"! Plus it is not even a Starcraft!

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bought another one at estate auction this morning. 1974 Glastron with 85 hp Mercury and sea lander trailer. $110.00
2011-11-04_11-13-57_536.jpg