Discouraged boater... need advise...

MRS

Commander
Re: Discouraged boater... need advise...

When I drain my block and manifold I use the gun barrel brass cleaning brushes while the water is draining cleans the treads and keeps hole from plugging. :)

D

DJ

Is there any other way to crack a block? <br />
Other than freezing-NO.<br /><br />Whomever winterized it just cost you a bundle.

kingdog911

Cadet

i have been a boater for over 25yrs and learned my best advice about boating from a friend[only wish i had took it]he told me always remember this"the best boat is some one else's"and you will never have a problem with your boat again.

G. Arruda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Update... marina press. tested drive, say no leak. I'm not sure then how I got several more oz's of milky looking drive oil off the top of the drive when I popped the dipstick! <br />Qt. for "block stitching" $1500 (stupid!) So it's JB Weld! Just to follow up on one last ?, and to give the epoxy a good chance... can water pressure build to the point of cracking the block? Temp gauge shows 160-170, but when I shut it down the gauge spikes, is that normal?<br />Thanks again!

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

No on the water pressure alone cracking the block. I'm not familiar enough with engines/drives to recognize by number which are closed systems or raw water systems but even the closed ones couldn't build up more than 10-15 lbs pressure, could they? I'd think that pressure would almost be non-existent in a raw water system. Just whatever minimal pressure the flow would create.

Sagabu

Seaman Apprentice

I have found that they are all money pits if you use them . Even if you dont.<br /> Every once in a rare blue moon I see that older fella w/a 60 something runabout that claims he has never had an issue.<br /> I have four boats and spend an average cost monthly that rivals a new boat just to keep them going.<br /> I know fellas that are making payments on a newer boat + the maitanance costs and insurance.<br /> At least you know what you got !