Disconnecting battery and fuel after use?

sycostang67

Seaman Apprentice
I recently picked up a 1990 Sunbird with a 1974 70hp Evinrude. It's in pretty good shape and everything seems to work so far. I've only had it out once with the dealer to verify the operation of everything. I was wondering if it would be wise to disconnect the fuel line and battery when not in use. I've heard of some people pulling the fuel line and running the motor out of fuel at the end of each outing. Would this be a good habit to get into? This is the 4th boat I have owned but the 1st one I have actually used, lol.

tpenfield

Staff member
Not the best ideas. Maybe the fuel would be OK but undoing the battery will be a pain. Install a battery switch instead.

Are you trying to preserve things, or thinking anti-theft.

sycostang67

Seaman Apprentice
The battery is easy enough to get to, it's in a side compartment easily reached standing beside the boat so the switch would be a good idea. I'm thinking along the lines of maintaining things more. Would draining the remaining fuel from the motor help anything or is it not really worth the effort. I was thinking of getting a battery tender to leave on the boat. I guess I'm also afraid to show up at the ramp and have a dead battery.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
As mentioned above, don't disconnect the battery. Get a proper battery switch. Boats don't like sparks, and if you are constantly fiddling with the battery cable, at some point it will probably be loose and come off while boating. (gets expensive)

And nobody drains the fuel after each outing...

No use for a tender in that boat. You didn't give us much info, but assuming it isn't wet-slipped. There should be no parasitic draw once you flip the battery switch to off.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Battery switch is the way to go, I put my battery in the boat in the spring, pull it out in the fall and it stays in the boat all summer long. If you are doing your checks before you go out, every single time, you should never show up at the ramp with a dead battery. As far as fuel, I do just about the same thing, I double check before I go and don't worry about it the rest of the summer, I run it dry at the end of the season, then fog it. I don't worry about it.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
As others have said install a battery switch.
Disconnecting the fuel line and running the gas out of the carb is really old school. I think most all of us use to do that 30 or 40 plus years ago. As long as you run the engine every month or so there is no need to. You should do it if you won’t be using the boat for a couple months or longer. You should also use a stabilizer when you fuel up. A stabilizer like StarTron stabilizes and also cleans your fuel system.
I must admit though I have a 6 hp trolling motor on my boat and I do from habit run the gas out of it after use. My big main motor I do not round the gas out of. Even if I wanted to it would be a job to disconnect the fuel line.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You cannot run the carburetors dry anyway. A little fuel remains. If the float bowls are full of fuel, air cannot cause things to dry out and gum up. So no -- it is not necessary to "run it out of fuel". If you have access to shore power then a battery tender or on-board charger is not a bad idea. It hurts nothing and if it provides peace of mind, go for it.

sycostang67

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the help, I guess I won't worry about the fuel then and I'll pick up a battery switch later this week.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the help, I guess I won't worry about the fuel then and I'll pick up a battery switch later this week.

Don't forget that you will probably need some crimp terminals also, or a short cable to run from the switch to the battery.