disable auto oiler on 90hp 2000 elpto

Status
Not open for further replies.

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a 90hp 2000 elpto s/n OT087666 with about 500 hrs on it.

I'm concerned that the auto oiling thing is gonna fail, if not the pump then a hose somewhere, clamp etc.. I've been told disabling is not that simple because the pump is driven off the crank so it requires a teardown to remove the pump and the pump needs the oil flow to keep from failing/seizing itself. So I am thinking a solution to the problem would be to disconnect the oil output going to the carbs and simply have those hoses dump their oil back into the oil tank. So it would just be a big oil loop.

Any problems with that shade tree mod?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You are getting totally wrong information !!!!---You do not have to take the motor apart to remove the pump !-----And you are correct in plumbing the discharge of the pump to the intake side.--I have suggested this solution more than once--Bonus is that if you sell it it is easy to convert back to oil injection.

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I remove the pump is there a opening that I will need to block off with a plate? The few times I've looked in the manual the diagrams didn't make it real obvious how its attached.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes.----Talk to a proper shop for a info on a kit to block off the opening after you pull out the pump.-----No point talking to a 21 year old clerk at AMAZON or the INTERNET.

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Interesting that this is apparently such a common pump that they would have parts for its replacement/block off on Amazon. I assume I'll need to drill a small hole in the top of the oil tank to put the discharge return hose into it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No I would not do that !!------Just put a TEE fitting on the hose that goes from tank to the pump.----I guess I should have explained that better in post #2 above.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The good thing to count with an auto oiler is that when at idle that motor will be running say at 100:1, at open throttle at 50:1. If the oiling system is cancelled or removed the motor will rev at 50:1 ratio through the entire rpm range. Will foul plugs faster when idling, trolling....

Happy Boating

racerone

Supreme Mariner
With good strong spark the plugs won't foul.----This lubrication in 2 strokes is just not well understood.

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
With good strong spark the plugs won't foul.----This lubrication in 2 strokes is just not well understood.
I was thinking about that very thing, just how much analysis goes into determining the right mix. I've had chain saws spec'd to be from 16, 32, and now 50/1. Interesting how long ago they went with 6 gallons tanks at 50:1 you put in 15.3 oz of oil, basically 1qt, convenient. I'm sure that this topic has been debated elsewhere.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is debated all the time.----Always a lively discussion.-----I will always say that lubrication / mixing oil with gas is not well understood.-------Smoke coming from a motor leads most folks to believe there is something wrong.----You have to wonder what scientific work determined that one year mix was 24:1 and the following year it is 50:1.----Same parts and pieces in the 2 models.-----The board room / marketing folks made the change !!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I've got a 90hp 2000 elpto s/n OT087666 with about 500 hrs on it.

I'm concerned that the auto oiling thing is gonna fail, if not the pump then a hose somewhere, clamp etc.. I've been told disabling is not that simple because the pump is driven off the crank so it requires a teardown to remove the pump and the pump needs the oil flow to keep from failing/seizing itself. So I am thinking a solution to the problem would be to disconnect the oil output going to the carbs and simply have those hoses dump their oil back into the oil tank. So it would just be a big oil loop.

Any problems with that shade tree mod?
I decided my 2002 90 2 stroker self oiler was keeping me awake at night, about the year 2012. So I took 3 bolts out holding the oil pump in place and temporarily removed one fuel like to facilitate removal. I flipped the pump body over for access and reached into it and pulled out the drive shaft containing the gear. I reversed the process with the pump...putting the hose back on and 3 bolts....that was the total process. I then wrote on the transom adjacent to the fill hole: 1 pt./6 gallons of gas.

I thought I was through boating a couple years later and donated my boat to a worthy cause...local lake fire/rescue. I wasn't....5 or so years later I bought another 2002, this time the 115, same everything else. This time I decided that I was sleeping just fine. The self oiler is still intact. So much for that!

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is debated all the time.----Always a lively discussion.-----I will always say that lubrication / mixing oil with gas is not well understood.-------Smoke coming from a motor leads most folks to believe there is something wrong.----You have to wonder what scientific work determined that one year mix was 24:1 and the following year it is 50:1.----Same parts and pieces in the 2 models.-----The board room / marketing folks made the change !!
I would think that etec engineers had this figured out quite well may they RIP. I wonder if the etecs injected their oil to a special port or if it got mixed with the fuel and then got injected.

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
No I would not do that !!------Just put a TEE fitting on the hose that goes from tank to the pump.----I guess I should have explained that better in post #2 above.
I'm still thinking about this. I looked in the manual and I see that the oil tank has a vent in the top. Seems like the oil discharge could be put back there. For some reason it bothers me to think that the oil circulated in a tight loop with a T might have debris that keeps looping thru the path with the same oil. Overthinking it. I wonder how many engines have blown due to failed pumps, maybe an urban legend?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well-----I could show you a few crankshafts with stripped / melted plastic gear that drives this pump.----So if one individual ( not a shop ) has a few then how many have failed.-------Put a filter in there if you are paranoid or do not understand how this system works

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Either block it off or leave it alone. As stated this gear rarely fails on the I3/4 and 3L V6 motors unless severely overheated. The one most talked about and filters over to other engines is the 2.0/2.4/2.5L V-6. Yes they fail a lot. The biggest thing that fails most often on your engine is the oil warning module and the float in oil tank coming unglued from magnet.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

To start witht all motors must run with strong sparks or motor eficiency, top power will be lost. Go for a 2-3 hour trolling sesion with any HP motor with auto oiling and same HP motor that runs 50:1 premix and will see which one fouls plugs faster, don't have to be a fortune teller to guess that out.

Why do spark plug fouls ? It's due to the plug not reaching it self min cleaning temp which occurs at over 500 C when running at idle. fast idle rpm for long time periods. Touche, 2 strokes fouling issues explained as in this example it's not well understood at all.

That's why after trolling for extended time periods and when returning to terra firme must run the combo as if stealing it for some time for the plugs to self clean themselves...

Happy Boating

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I used to troll with 235 HP Johnson at 50:1 mix , hour after hour.-----Never a hint of plugs fouling.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I used to troll with 235 HP Johnson at 50:1 mix , hour after hour.-----Never a hint of plugs fouling.
That motor must be one of a kind. To get the idea, when plug fouls excessively there will be some motor hesitation when the throttle is opened up that will cure itself once the motor starts heating up towards a mucher higher workint temp.. It's not that you have to remove the plugs and cleam them out at your fishing spot. Plug fouling it's very notorious on 2-3 cylinder motors running premix 50:1 ratios at constant slow rpm for extended time periods....

Happy Boating​

Status
Not open for further replies.