Dilemma: Help me out!

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Dilemma: Help me out!

I've got to agree with most of the above.. And point out that buying that "economy" car may not scale as you're hit with taxes, insurance, and additional fees just for owning the darn thing.

I never have figured out why it cost me more to insure each vehicle in the collection when I could only drive one at a time... I can understand *some* increase, but sheesh...

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That's what I hate about insurance companies also. If I have 2 cars or trucks, I insure both and pay almost full price on the 2nd vehicle. That's crazy. Their argument is that another driver could be driving it, so I told them I would sign anything that says I'm the only driver, but still no way. That's why banks and insurances companies are crooks!

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's what I hate about insurance companies also. If I have 2 cars or trucks, I insure both and pay almost full price on the 2nd vehicle. That's crazy. Their argument is that another driver could be driving it, so I told them I would sign anything that says I'm the only driver, but still no way. That's why banks and insurances companies are crooks!

That problem could be solved by insuring individuals, not vehicles.. but there I go getting sideways on this topic.

NeverEnough02

Seaman

The math done above is a decent way to say no. Insurance on a beater econo car is going to cast that alone. Plus the cost of the car and maintinence. My 4.8 silverado was getting 25 mpg with 4 people and luggage on a boston to baltimore trip. The newer 4.8 is more efficient. With my lead foot around the city i am hitting around 17.5. Its going to be hard to offset the gas prices with the purchase of a second car. Get the one you want and go from there but i would stick with one car.

WTL

Seaman

If you have money in your tow vehicle, its gonna be hard to trade and win at the pump. Your F-150 with a V6 probably is one of the better tow vehicles around anyways, at least compared to a guy with a v8 351 or something. Get something older and you take a chance on needing repairs, thats not worth it.

Its possible that a deal could fall into your lap, that happens, so keep your eyes open - but thats hard to plan.

For the people looking at new vehicles, I saw a Dodge Magnum the other day and I instantly thought "hey, I bet that could tow pretty well". Looked it up and some people are using those to tow with. Not sure if it saves too much on gas, but I think its a little better than a truck. I wish trucks would move back towards the El Camino types anyways, I like 4x4s, but the high aerodynamic profiles are probably the least cost effective feature of modern trucks.

ebry710

Ensign

Being a guy and married. I think that a good reason to buy a nice matching truck and boat combination (I mean a tow vehicle), is to convince my wife that it is economic to buy a second high gas mileage, run around car, like a BMW Z4. Do you think that would fly.

NeverEnough02

Seaman

If you have enough money to buy a matching truck and boat, then buy a Z-4 as a commuter car, you prob dont have to ask the wife unless its her money. In that case, I would expect you to ask and get slapped. Good Luck!:D

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Personally.... I love beaters. My 84 Bronco was not a pretty picture, you know how they rustout, and then put a 1971 popup camper behind it and .... well lets just say I got a few, mmm, strange looks... Going off road anytime I want ... "Priceless" Now I have a 94 GMC van 3500 and a 1963 AristoCraft Funliner!!! I'll be lucky to get mpg towing, but a day on the water with freinds and family..."Priceless" Oh I paid $1000 for the Bronco and put 40000 miles and sold it for $400. The camper... I figure $300 at the scrap yard at todays aluminum prices. Back to the boat... Point is if you enjoy your 150 and boating... Go for it... A few nicks from knuckleheads at the launch won't hurt much either.

ebry710

Ensign

I was more dreaming out load. :p

I am looking into two vehicles though. Not just for fuel economy, but because I am self-employed and my truck gets worn out in 5-7 years. Since it takes me so long and cost so much to tweak a truck for towing, I hate to dump my investment when my work truck wears out.