Dilemma: Help me out!

KevOLikesBoating

Seaman Apprentice
So here's the situation: Currently have an F150 to tow my 1992 18' Four Winns Freedom.

I need some cash and better gas mileage! So I need to find an acceptable replacement that can tow, and possibly get better MPG.

I'm not asking for 30+ .. but just better than the F150. I've looked at the Volvo V70/Cross County which is rated to tow 3300 pounds. Any other suggestions?

One other route I've considered is getting a economical car for during the week and a cheap tow vehicle for the weekends.

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Dilemma: Help me out!

I would go the economical car route due to the fact that you have to use a heck of alot of gas to offset the increased cost of a more expensive vehicle. Most time people dont realize that the cost of a new vehicle would end up costing them more than just paying the increased price of gas over the life of the vehicle. Just my 2 cents.

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would go the economical car route due to the fact that you have to use a heck of alot of gas to offset the increased cost of a more expensive vehicle. Most time people dont realize that the cost of a new vehicle would end up costing them more than just paying the increased price of gas over the life of the vehicle. Just my 2 cents.

I've found that most vehicles are only good up to about 75% of their tow rating. You can tow at rated capacity, but it's a bit of a stretch on hills - both accelerating and braking.

Which motor does your F-150 have? Motor efficiency is improving as we go forward... How about a Tacoma or other mid-sized truck with moderate towing capacity (6000 lbs) - no V8.

rndn

Commander

Is it possible to store your boat at the place where you use it most often. If you could then you would not need a tow vehicle at all. The cost of the service and storage may outweigh the extra cost of towing a boat. I don't really think you're going to save much going to something smaller. It takes power to tow a boat and power uses gasoline. If your F150 gets 14mpg while towing a diesel would get closer to 20mpg while towing. You would have to pay a high premium for the diesel purchase which again may be more than your towing gasoline costs. I find it hard to believe that with the purchase of a Volvo that you will ever "save" money in the long run.
My Toyota Tacoma V-6 4wd gets 20mpg while not towing my boat and around 15mpg while towing.

D

DJ

You don't say what F-150 you have. What year, what engine?

My 2007 Lincoln Mk LT 4 X 4 (5.4L Triton) gets 16 mpg., on a BAD day.

Your boat is heavier than you think it is. I have towed nearly 3000# with a Lincoln MKX (Ford Edge) and it did well. The fuel economy drops a lot faster, while towing, than the pick-up, as expected. However, the day to day driving is in the low to mid twenties.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

This is a very typical scenario when gas prices skyrocket. People dump their big vehicles and take a loss in the process, and pay a premium for something that gets marginally better fuel economy. You will NEVER make that process pay a dividend. Keep what you have for towing. When not being used it is saving a ton of money. Buy a small econo box to run to work. If you are really worried about the cost of fuel, sell the boat as it's the real reason you are looking to save money. That may be a rather synical solution but it is the truth. Why? You don't worry about 3 MPG on the boat but you worry about 14 on the truck.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I am confused . . . you need cash AND better gas mileage? The only thing I can think of is to rob a bank and buy a hybrid Tahoe, or an Edge, or maybe a diesel Toureg. Well there may be a couple of other options, but you need to help me focus a little more. Maybe I am thick, because these other fine Gents seem to get it ????

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Many fine opinions posted already. Just to add my bit you need a tow vehicle ?? you already have one. You will spend a lot more money trading in for a couple of MPG. Bottom line is that if you want good towing ability and good gas mileage you just won't get it.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Did a quick check in consumer reports for Tacoma and its compition.
Dacota overall SLT V8 mpg 14 ,0 to 60 9 sec.,Chev Colorado/GMC Canyon LS5 overall mpg 16,0-60 9.6,Tocoma crew V6 overall mpg 17,0-60 7.6 also far surpasses all its competion in reliability,satisfaction and owner cost.

KevOLikesBoating

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the responses. My truck has the 4.2L V6 and is a 2002, forgot to mention that as well.

I know I already have my tow vehicle, but my F150 is the only thing I have that I can turn into cash. Except for the boat of course but I refuse to sell it! :)

SO I figured I could get something a little older with more mileage and put cash in my pocket. Of course, then I run the risk of getting something that needs work done in a few months and I've screwed myself.

I have considered storing my boat at the local marina - which will cost anywhere from $100 - $200 a month. In the long run, I'll have paid basically what I put in my pocket on the deal but at least that would be over time.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the responses. My truck has the 4.2L V6 and is a 2002, forgot to mention that as well.

I know I already have my tow vehicle, but my F150 is the only thing I have that I can turn into cash. Except for the boat of course but I refuse to sell it! :)

SO I figured I could get something a little older with more mileage and put cash in my pocket. Of course, then I run the risk of getting something that needs work done in a few months and I've screwed myself.

I have considered storing my boat at the local marina - which will cost anywhere from $100 - $200 a month. In the long run, I'll have paid basically what I put in my pocket on the deal but at least that would be over time.
Now that is expensive for keeping it at the marina. I pay $500 per year for a dock and winter storage if I choose it. However I keep my boat at home for the winter so I can keep an eye on it in case there are any issues with the cover etc. No frills at the marina, just a dock, washrooms and a BBQ or 2 to use. Gas available and a nice marine store, service and repair shop with boat sales on site. Marina is 5 minutes from my front door. The one that is 2 minutes away costs $1,200 per season without winter storage.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If your thinking older used look in Consumer Reports annual auto edition
at the library. Check the best used cars and used cars to avoid.(also includes trucks)Based on actual user /owners reports.Not Joe Blow saying I like such and such.

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HEY--KEVO--remember the old saying---"boats are just a hole in the into which we pour $$$$" and (my favorite) "the GAS is the cheapest part" and don't forget "ya can't put a price on a good time"-----OK---I'm picking on you---if you need $$$---sell the truck and buy a older PU to tow and a cheap little car to go to work---good luck--Steve

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah...Keep your tow/haul truck and get a second vehicle that's more economical. I have a Chevy Tahoe for my tow vehicle and a used Nissan pick-up that gets me 18 in the city and 24 on the highway. Got the pick-up used five years ago with 78,000 miles on it for two grand. Now it has over 200,000 miles on it and still runs strong. Just a hint when purchasing a used vehicle, I look at ads at colleges and ethnic grocery stores. I look for ads where students or visitors from other countries must return to their homeland and needs to make the quick sale. They'll accept any reasonable offer especially, if their visa is scheduled to expire.

ebry710

Ensign

Yeah...Keep your tow/haul truck and get a second vehicle that's more economical.

As long as truck manufactures do not have to post gas mileage on the sticker for new trucks, fuel economy and power will be kept separate. Although my ford van with the 5.4L gets 18 freeway and 14 towing, the new Chevy and Tundra get even better. If you get an economy car you will need to get at least least in the high 20's to get any return on investment. The cost of insurance, maintenance and storage of two vehicle is also need to be accounted for............but having a spare truck just for the weekend would be real nice.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I have been having the same thoughts about another vehicle.My Tahoe gets 15 mpg average and about 10 mpg towing.
I drive 60 miles a day to and from work.
After looking at used gas saver vehicles for driving to work the cost and upkeep would outweigh the savings on gas.
Around here all the small gas savers everyone wants way too much money for.
At least if you keep the F-150 you know its history and how well its been maintained.

ebry710

Ensign

I have given up exchanging vehicles. It seems like you can never sell a truck for what it is worth or buy a used truck for less then you can buy an new one. Might as well keep up with the maintenance of your old one and drive it until your wheels fall off.
The difference between 15 mpg and 22 on a thousand mile drive @ $3.50/gal is still only $75. The cost difference is getting higher, but a new truck cost 30K. At that rate it will take 404,000 miles to get a pay back (if my numbers are right). Makes is not worth it financially, because the new truck will be dead before the payback period. :eek:

1000 miles/15 mpg = 66.6 gals @ $3.50/gal = $233.33
1000 miles/22 mpg = 45.5 gals @ $3.50/gal = $159.09

Difference of $74.24

$30,000/$74.24 = 404 trips X 1000 miles = 404,000 miles for payback

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Same thing we all face. I remember back in the late 70s when I switched to Japanese cars from my beloved American iron. Thought I was going to save so much, but in the end, I never liked driving them, and now, being that we are in the same situation with price of gas, I just pay the price. I've thought of getting a diesel in my next Jeep if they ever sell it in NY, but the price of diesel fuel and the cost of the diesel engine makes it a losing proposition money wise. Way cheaper to keep my old 4.0 inline six Jeep, and drive economically. No more enconobuckets for me.

ferrellb

Seaman Apprentice

The math above seems fuzzy for the situation. I drive a 2 door Japanese car day to day. It gets approx. 30mpg and I drive 30,000+ a year. Once I got my boat (and after several questions on this site), I bought an old 4wd Isuzu Rodeo for $1200. It tows 2.5K pounds with ease and sits when not being used. It has been nice having a beater to do Home Depot runs also. I have not put 5K miles on it in 17 months and that includes a 1500 mile trip. I would never want a huge gas guzzler to drive 365 just so I could tow a boat 40 times a year. The beater gets about half the mpgs.

That said, my job is providing me with a company truck (and gas card) that I am approved to tow with (I double checked). The reason I mention this is that I checked car values and can quickly sell my beater for a profit after all this. I have $400 in tags, a small repair and insurance; hardly the finanacial blows some seem to predict. My opinion - sell the truck and buy two reliable used vehicles and go for it!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Better gas mileage? Slow down. Lighten the load: jetson everthing I mean everything, drop the spare tire and join an auto club. Turn the A/C off. Clean your injectors. Change your oil. Check your tire pressure. Start coasting sooner (less wear on brakes, too).

Wish I could help with the cash.