Digital trim gauge constantly reading -9 degrees

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My trim sender stopped working shortly before the end of last season, a visual inspection showed that one of the wires had broken close to the sender. New sender was ordered to be installed whilst I had the outdrive off for new seals.

I tested the new 3 wire sender and it reads correctly as expected. I set the sender to 11ohms as per the instructions and passed the wires through the transom and attached it to the plug. I have done this replacement several time before without problems.

However my digital trim gauge now reads -9 deg. Rotating the hex on the shaft makes no difference at the gauge. Unplugged the sender and re-tested only to find all is as it should be. I did notice that the same -9 deg is the reading I get even with the plug disconnected.
Anyone have any Ideas?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Two ideas. First have you actually tested the wires from the sensor to the digital gauge. Second, have to actually cleaned the connections at the gauge itself. So many time we think everything is good until we actually look and test... JMHO

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks for the reply, I shall be testing as you have suggested later today once I have finished installing my new engine circulating pump and have removed the helm seat so that I can get access to the back of the instruments.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The factory manual has trim gauge testing proceedures

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a copy of the wiring for the Digital gauge that the late "DonS" had posted, but it is very low definition and I am unable to read it.
Does anyone have access to the original ? I have looked in many places but cannot find an original.

The factory manual trim gauge testing procedures are for the analogue gauge and as such useless to me.

This is the part number of the Gauge I have 3819708 and at € 779.24 ($879.25) here, I'm sure you will understand my reluctance to buy one just to try!

Attachments

• photo314015.jpg
    photo314015.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1
  • photo314017.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check around on places like ebay. its there for under $300 from time to time.

as for the manual, you can to go to boatinfo.no and look at the scanned copies of the manuals, however if you want a good copy, get a factory manual from Volvo Penta.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Cheers Scott, the problem is that I am unable to find the wiring diagram for the digital gauge in the Volvo manuals. I don't plan on buying another gauge until I have checked out the wiring. It was working until the red wire broke at the outdrive.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
FIXED the supplied sensor was for an analouge trim guage ie. part No. 3849411 despite the Volvo agent in LA double checking (I was on holiday there) the correct part No. 3858212 superseeded by 21652399.
I cannot calculate how long I spent on this.