Difficult no wake steering

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Difficult no wake steering

Originally posted by Uncle Dave:<br /> A new one is around $125. About the price for a tank of gas.<br />Uncle Dave
UD, if you can show me where to buy an OMC True Course cable for $125 let me know. I'll buy a dozen.<br /><br />It is true, however, about a loop collecting moisture but there still might be a remedy. I don't seem to be able to get Dock Shot to answer a straight question about what he has.

Warren Aston

Cadet

Okay to stop the confusion, I've told you my problem which is "extremely difficult steering/wander at low speeds" , now you tell me precisely what you need to know in terms of more information that you need in order to help me. Because we are indeed getting different answers here. One fella says that cables have nothing to do with my problem but another says that it could be a problem. So now I am confused.<br /><br />I'm not sure what OMC considers true-course steering, I can only describe as I did before what I have. The steering system consists of a rotary type cable system.<br /><br />1) when the boat is on plane, the steering is fairly true, but there is still a small effort and stiffness in the steering to keep the boat on true course.<br /><br />**** Since all of my boating is on Lake Erie, which is hardly ever smooth, the steering effort is fairly constant and much more noticable due to the normal lake conditions.<br /><br />I do appreciate all the input on this subject and of course welcome more:)<br /><br />
Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Whoa Everbody! I think we are mixing apples and oranges here. We could have as many 3 different problems here and Dock Shot ain't helpin the confusion.<br /><br />1) low speed wander<br />2) excessive steering effort at any speed<br />3) possible torque steer w/ hi steering effort at planing speed???<br /><br />Help us out here DockShot. I guess we pretty well covered the no wake/displacement wandering issue-even though a common solution did not work. BTB, there is no other remedy for this if tabs do not work for you.<br /><br />What of the remaining is an issue? I'm leading somewhere depending on the final articulation.

Warren Aston

Cadet

The boat is in fresh water and I have always had the problem since I bought the boat (used) However, I will look into these things this weekend and get back to you. Thanks
Originally posted by pine island fred:<br /> Read your question a few times to try to figure something out. Not at all familar with your set up but will try to come up with something.<br /> First the extra 5 feet looped will contribute friction in the telflex cable,sounds like it is to long. Believe they come in 1 or 2 ft. differences in length. Second, disconnect the cable where it attaches to the i/o and see if the cable runs free. You are moving a lot of iron with no assist so you need a mechanical advantage. Is there a selection of mount holes that would enable you to turn the wheel more (lock to lock) with less movement in the out drive? Could the pivot point on the drive be seizing and need lubrication or some attention?<br /> Has this problem progresivally getting worse or always been there? Do you keep the boat in the water,salt/fresh? Have you always had the boat or bought it used? Could be someone just thru it together to make it work. Something just does not seem right. By all means look into it. Had a few cables snap on me with no warning. Was able to sit next to the motor and steer it with my arms, you cant do that with an i/o. Wish i could help more. regards fred

dutch135

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DockShot,<br />The advise here has been good. If you have any chance of getting some pictures of your steering setup, and the extra cable length, that might help the experts identify the steering system you do have, and what to look for from there. <br /><br />Also, can you say that the steering is just as hard when the boat is sitting still, not running, and drive in down position?

Realgun

Commander

Dockshot basically you need to replace the steering cable from the helm to outdrive.<br />You did state ther was 6 ft extra cables thats not an issue it just means sombody can't measure. :D <br />Replace the cable and the steering will be fine.<br /><br />I read your original post and I got all I needed from that!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Your subsequent description is considerably different from the title of your post. Do you have Tru Course Steering. That is a double cableway with a cable drum at the helm and a cable drum at the intermediate housing without any external apparatus from the transom to the outdrive?
DockShot, please re-read this question . The cable could be red or black but it would definitely look like two cables, side by side all in one sheathe.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by dutch135:<br /> DockShot,<br />The advise here has been good. If you have any chance of getting some pictures of your steering setup, and the extra cable length, that might help the experts identify the steering system you do have, and what to look for from there. <br /><br />Also, can you say that the steering is just as hard when the boat is sitting still, not running, and drive in down position?
I'm glad someone else can see the dilemma here. I have possible advice to give but will not do it until DockShot can read and answer the questions that have already been asked.

Moody Blue

Captain

Hey dockshot, don't get discouraged by the barage of questions. Everyones intentions are to help out whenever possible. You will always get differing opinions and responses, its up to you to decide what is valuable and what is not. The more precise and complete the info you can provide will help identify the problem accuratley. First thing is to identify the type of steering system you have. Secondly, separate and focus on one problem at a time. <br />- low speed steering difficult because its stiff or because the boat wanders or both?<br />- high speed steering stiff or does it want to turn to one side or both?<br />Thirdly, I would try and isolate where the stiffness is coming from. Personally I would highly suspect the excess cable length. How tightly is it coiled? Can you disconnect the motor end to see if it is still stiff?

Warren Aston

Cadet

Taking in all the information I already have I will Be going back to Erie this weekend and doing some trial and error things based on some of the information I have recieved thus far. I will be back in touch, hopefully with a resolution or a better explanation of what the problem is.<br /><br />Thank you all again and thank you RodC for the note of encouragement:)<br /><br />
Originally posted by RodC:<br /> Hey dockshot, don't get discouraged by the barage of questions. Everyones intentions are to help out whenever possible. You will always get differing opinions and responses, its up to you to decide what is valuable and what is not. The more precise and complete the info you can provide will help identify the problem accuratley. First thing is to identify the type of steering system you have. Secondly, separate and focus on one problem at a time. <br />- low speed steering difficult because its stiff or because the boat wanders or both?<br />- high speed steering stiff or does it want to turn to one side or both?<br />Thirdly, I would try and isolate where the stiffness is coming from. Personally I would highly suspect the excess cable length. How tightly is it coiled? Can you disconnect the motor end to see if it is still stiff?