Difficult no wake steering

Warren Aston

Cadet
I have a 1985 Renken, 21' OMC Series 800 Outdrive, 5 liter GM V-8 engine, I-O. with mechanical cable steering. <br /><br />My question is "Is there an inexpensive solution to fix the steering problem"?<br /><br />Also, there is approx. 5 ft. of excess steering cable loop under the gunwale. Could this contribute to the steering problwm??<br /><br /> Added details of actual problem: <br /><br />It is very very hard to steer the boat at all. It's similar to driving a vehicle that has power steering and has stalled out, Therefore, it's almost like loosing all your steering. <br /><br />I was thinking maybe the cables may have been replaced somewhere along the line and possibly aren't tight enough to steer properly. Also if anyone had any ideas on what I could do to fix the problem without costly conversion kits?<br />Thank you

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Difficult no wake steering

Welcome to Iboats. What exactly is your steering problem? Do you mean the wandering back and forth?

Moody Blue

Captain

I bet there is an answer to your steering problem; if only we knew what it was :D :D (the problem that is, not the solution).

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Dock shot, if the title of your post is the root of your problem, it is the nature of the beast to wander like that in the no wake displacement mode. The boat keeps trying to bowsteer and you don't have enough forward speed to keep the bow up out of the water. Your extra steering cable has no bearing on it.<br /><br />The good news is that there is a solution. Get a set of Smart Tabs. I just put a set on mine and I can acutally get up out of the seat and wander around the boat and it stays on course. I was blown away after years of seesawing on the steering wheel. ST1290-80's are what you want. Many others here have reported the same results.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...st1290&**********=910334154&*******=265517533

Ralph 123

Captain

Hey Boom, do OMCs have the Merc equivalent of a gimbal ring?

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Dock shot, if the title of your post is the root of your problem, it is the nature of the beast to wander like that in the no wake displacement mode. The boat keeps trying to bowsteer and you don't have enough forward speed to keep the bow up out of the water. Your extra steering cable has no bearing on it.<br /><br />The good news is that there is a solution. Get a set of Smart Tabs. I just put a set on mine and I can acutally get up out of the seat and wander around the boat and it stays on course. I was blown away after years of seesawing on the steering wheel. ST1290-80's are what you want. Many others here have reported the same results.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...st1290&**********=910334154&*******=265517533
Agreed on all points.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Ralph:<br /> Hey Boom, do OMCs have the Merc equivalent of a gimbal ring?
Not the Stringers Ralph. I do believe that the later Cobras/Volvos did. IMHO, if OMC had responded to some of the Stringer weaknesses more rapidly they would have blown Mercruiser out of the water.

Warren Aston

Cadet

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br /> Welcome to Iboats. What exactly is your steering problem? Do you mean the wandering back and forth?
Actually, it is very very hard to steer the boat at all. It's similar to driving a vehicle that has power steering and has stalled out, It's almost like loosing all your steering. I was thinking maybe the cables may have been replaced somewhere along the line and possibly aren't tight enough to steer properly. Also if anyone had any ideas on what I could do to fix the problem without costly conversion kits?<br />Thank you

Warren Aston

Cadet

Originally posted by RodC:<br /> I bet there is an answer to your steering problem; if only we knew what it was :D :D (the problem that is, not the solution).
I answered this to another member and not sure if you too could view it in your search.<br /><br />Actually, it is very very hard to steer the boat at all. It's similar to driving a vehicle that has power steering and has stalled out, It's almost like loosing all your steering. I was thinking maybe the cables may have been replaced somewhere along the line and possibly aren't tight enough to steer properly. Also if anyone had any ideas on what I could do to fix the problem without costly conversion kits?<br />Thank you

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Read your question a few times to try to figure something out. Not at all familar with your set up but will try to come up with something.<br /> First the extra 5 feet looped will contribute friction in the telflex cable,sounds like it is to long. Believe they come in 1 or 2 ft. differences in length. Second, disconnect the cable where it attaches to the i/o and see if the cable runs free. You are moving a lot of iron with no assist so you need a mechanical advantage. Is there a selection of mount holes that would enable you to turn the wheel more (lock to lock) with less movement in the out drive? Could the pivot point on the drive be seizing and need lubrication or some attention?<br /> Has this problem progresivally getting worse or always been there? Do you keep the boat in the water,salt/fresh? Have you always had the boat or bought it used? Could be someone just thru it together to make it work. Something just does not seem right. By all means look into it. Had a few cables snap on me with no warning. Was able to sit next to the motor and steer it with my arms, you cant do that with an i/o. Wish i could help more. regards fred

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Further reflection, this sound like something that should not be ignored no matter what it might cost for new parts. Try to find out what the original RENKEN set up was. fred

Wingnutt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the same problem with my Regal. My problem was that it was past time to replace the stearing cable. It's not to pricy, I think I paid about $120 for mine and that included a new helm station. Try disconnecting the cable bron the steering arm at the transon and see it it's any easier to turn the wheel. With the lower unit disconnected there should be NO friction. Also while the cable is disconnected, see how freely the stern drive moves. There will a little friction, but not much. Give it a try and let us know what you find.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Your subsequent description is considerably different from the title of your post. Do you have Tru Course Steering. That is a double cableway with a drum at the helm and a drum at the intermediate housing without any external apparatus from the transom to the outdrive?

Warren Aston

Cadet

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Dock shot, if the title of your post is the root of your problem, it is the nature of the beast to wander like that in the no wake displacement mode. The boat keeps trying to bowsteer and you don't have enough forward speed to keep the bow up out of the water. Your extra steering cable has no bearing on it.<br /><br />The good news is that there is a solution. Get a set of Smart Tabs. I just put a set on mine and I can acutally get up out of the seat and wander around the boat and it stays on course. I was blown away after years of seesawing on the steering wheel. ST1290-80's are what you want. Many others here have reported the same results.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...st1290&**********=910334154&*******=265517533

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Dock Shot:<br />
Huh? What are you trying to say DockShot, spit it out.

Warren Aston

Cadet

HI BOOMYAL!!! THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE ON 9/5/05 CONCERNING MY STEERING PROBLEM... HOWEVER, THERE IS MORE TO EXPLAIN: About 6 years ago, similar no-wake sterring problems to mine was addressed in the tech-section of a boating magazine that I subscribed to. The tech advisor stated that the problem is caused by engine/outdrive torque and there was not a remedy to the problem. One partial solution mentioned was that if your boat was equipped with trim tabs, lower the tabs all the way down at no wake speed and this may help some. <br /><br />I installed 18" Bennett trim tabs on my boat prior to reading the article (about 2 yrs. ago) and while the trim tabs were probably the best investment I have made as far as planing, List adjustments, etc. Lowering the tabs at no wake speeds DID NOT Help my problem. <br /><br />Your recommendation of smart tabs: From what I can gather from Cabela's Ad for Smart Tabs, The tabs stay down until the boat is underway and then adjust according to water pressure. <br /><br />The smart tab position at no wake speeds therefore would be similar to me lowering my tabs down at the slow speeds.<br /><br />Note: I do not recall if power steering was mentioned in the articla as a solution or help to the problem, and in fact I wonder if a power steering kit would even be available for my boat. All of the power steering kits that I see advertising relate to OUTBOARD engines.<br /><br /> I'm looking forward to your response!!!! <br /><br />Dock Shot<br /><br />
Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> The good news is that there is a solution. Get a set of Smart Tabs. I just put a set on mine and I can acutally get up out of the seat and wander around the boat and it stays on course. I was blown away after years of seesawing on the steering wheel. ST1290-80's are what you want. Many others here have reported the same results.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...st1290&**********=910334154&*******=265517533

KaGee

Admiral

I'll pop in here... <br /><br />You did not answer...."do you have Tru-Course steering?"<br /><br />I'll add... I take it from your last comment that you do not have power steering.... correct?<br /><br />I'll take for granted since you have an '85 model that it is Tru-Course. You should not have all of that excess cable. That may well be what causes the stiffness of your steering, but not what is causing the wander while at no-wake speeds.<br /><br />Have you ever inspected the pulley mechanism at the intermediate housing and at the steering wheel?

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i have a 20 foot renken 2000 classic.. it has a very shallow v hull and is a pain to steer at no-wake speeds.. it needs constant none-stop correction and as someone says is the nature of the beast.. i cos of river speed limits spend lots of time at no-wake speeds and i have gotten used to it..<br /><br />but add in stiff steering linkages and it would be impossible.. those little but often steering tweaks would not happen finely enough.. my boats steering is very free.. it does not have power steering i would think power steering would make the situation worse not better..<br /><br />mine does steer best with the drive fully down.. lifting it slightly does make the wander worse.. trim tabs fully down or anything adding extra drag at the rear of the boat should help in theory.. but very free steering is definitely a must have.. all mine needs is a gentle one handed rock just a couple of inches side to side.. u have to kinda give it the correction before it seems to need it.. i do it without thinking now and dont notice the wander that much.. but take my hands of the wheel for a few seconds and the boat is soon heading for the river bank.. he he<br /><br />at above no-wake speed with its bow up or on the plane its rock steady and steers perfectly.. <br /><br />trog100

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Whoa Everbody! I think we are mixing apples and oranges here. We could have as many 3 different problems here and Dock Shot ain't helpin the confusion.<br /><br />1) low speed wander<br />2) excessive steering effort at any speed<br />3) possible torque steer w/ hi steering effort at planing speed???<br /><br />Help us out here DockShot. I guess we pretty well covered the no wake/displacement wandering issue-even though a common solution did not work. BTB, there is no other remedy for this if tabs do not work for you.<br /><br />What of the remaining is an issue? I'm leading somewhere depending on the final articulation.

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class

DS<br />Betcha got a bad steering cable. Ifn its got a 5 foot loop thats the place where water can accumalate and rust set up.<br />Check out the cable as in earlier post. A new one is around $125. About the price for a tank of gas.<br />Uncle Dave