Difference of car temp and boat temps at operating conditions

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class
have a 07 chevy tahoe and noticed my engine temp runs 210 and trans temp runs between 190-200. these are considered the correct temp for this engine. on my boat (year 2000, 5.0 mpi alpha1 gen 2), engine temp runs 180-190 and considered too high. Why the difference??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Difference of car temp and boat temps at operating conditions

Because trucks and cars operate most efficiently at those temps and they also need high temp thermostats because they must also operate at 35 to 40 below zero. They also have closed and pressurized cooling systems. Cars and trucks rarely operate above 3000 RPM whereas your boat is well above that most of the time. Your boat may or may not have a closed cooling system. If it doesn't, water boils at 212 degrees at sea level.

sltintexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I interpret the question as to why 190 on a boat is harmful to a boat motor but a car motor can run at over 200 and it is not harmful.

If I say my boat motor is running at 190 everyone would be screaming to fix it before i crack a head. But a boat motor and a car motor are very similar. why can a car motor run at 200 and not worry about cracking but everyone would freak out if a boat motor ran at 200 saying it was going to crack.

If that is not what is being asked, ignore me ;)

xltier

Chief Petty Officer

your boat is drawing in cold water.if it hits that 200 head something bad is gonna happen.trucks circulate the same temp pretty much.like dumping hot water on your frozen windsheid.CRACK.!!one reason

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That's not the reason. Marine engines run at a lower temp because running warmer in salt water will allow the salt to come out of solution. If your boat is running at 190, and it is designed to run at 160, you have a component failure such as a thermostat or water pump impeller.

fishrdan

Admiral

why can a car motor run at 200 and not worry about cracking but everyone would freak out if a boat motor ran at 200 saying it was going to crack.

It's not high temps that have people worried about cracking a marine engine, it's low temps, 32* or lower.