Difference between a surfboard and a wakesurf board?

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I tried this in another thread but the location wasnt right. I guess Im suspecting that people who wakeboard have some experience wakesurfing as well.

Just want some more info on this.
The wakesurf boards I see seem to have grip over the whole board, while surf boards have just the plexiglass/expoxy, usually with no grip. Will this make any difference on the wake?

Does anyone know for sure that theres no difference? Is the design, weight, or fin placement different? It just seems to me that they must have some differences for different uses. Maybe not...
anyone know for sure?
If I just get an actual surfboard will that work? and if I do, what length will work best?

thanks for any answers.
-CUBE-

salty87

Commander
Re: Difference between a surfboard and a wakesurf board?

lots of differences....shape/size, thickness, weight

a real surfboard has to keep a surfer safe for a while, they're more buoyant and usually larger. a wake surfing board is usually smaller and more maneuverable. a real surf board uses wax, not a great thing for a boat carpet so lake boards use grippy tape surfaces usually.

you can use a real surfboard behind a boat but one made for wake surfing will be easier on the rider/learner...right tool for the job kinda thing.

line length and speed are dependent on the boat doing the work, amount and placement of weight, prop, etc.