Diesel in the Gas Tank

So the marina somehow managed to mix diesel fuel in the gas tanks at the pump, so the last time I gassed up, I got 50L of diesel/gasoline mix in my tank.
Been pulling my hair out for weeks tryin to figure out why my motor's been running rough, poor idle, blue smoke, no power etc.
It's a 97 Crownline 202 with a Mercruiser MCM 5.7L Alpha 1
Changed all the filters, changed the oil and pumped out all the bad gas, replaced it with good quality 91 octane pump gas and changed the fouled plugs and it runs miles better apart from an occasional backfire on hard acceleration.
Is there anything else I should be lookin out for?

All I have to say it watch out what they're puttin in your tanks!!

HighLineCBR

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Diesel in the Gas Tank

you should be good after you burn through this tank.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Changed all the filters, changed the oil and pumped out all the bad gas, replaced it with good quality 91 octane pump gas and changed the fouled plugs and it runs miles better apart from an occasional backfire on hard acceleration.
Is there anything else I should be lookin out for?
Nah!...You're good.

The worst thing that can happen with diesel fuel contamination is possible detonation. You would have probably heard that......and it would have caused actual damage to the engine.

50l might have been too much to cause that kind of damage and all it did was cause a little plug/combustion chamber fouling etc...

Cheers,

Rick

JustJason

Vice Admiral

You can put diesel into a gas engine and not to much happens, (as in the engine usually won't run, or if it does, run pizz poor).
It's when you put gas into a diesel motor that all hell breaks loose.

You much have to change your sparkplugs out once or twice, but after a tank or 2 and some good solid running of the engine it should clear out.

Is the marina paying for that?