Dies from Idle to Gear - mixture screw-specific adjustment ('98 Force 90HP)

dahlbergdriver

Seaman Apprentice
Putting aside all other adjustments to timing, reed valves, idle screw, etc. - if my motor is SOMETIMES dying from idle to gear, would that usually be an indication of too lean or too rich? If too lean, I want to adjust mixture screws on all three carbs 1/4 out; if too rich, I want to adjust mixture screws on all three carbs 1/4 in (but not beyond one full turn out).

The Force power

Commander
This should be done in the water and run it hard to clear out the motor and get the Re-circulation system working.

Question......Why do you want not want to not want to turn-out the mixture screw out more than one full turn?? as it is not adviced to turn them in more then one full turn out

dahlbergdriver

Seaman Apprentice
Apologies, you’re correct, not less than 1 full turn.

are you saying to keep mixtures the same and just essentially rev the motor in the water to clear things out?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Some times the air screw needs to be set at more than 1 turn out.
I've seen them set as much as 3 turns out????

Get motor running, set rpms at 800 in gear and in the water.
Then spray starting fluid around the intake side of the motor.
Around the port covers too.
If that makes the motor miss, backfire, stutter, change the way
it runs? then there's an air leak somewhere.

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
What is the timing at idle? Sometimes the capacitors in the bias circuit go bad and the timing when set at 28 -30 WOT is too low at idle and this contributes to the idle problems as the range of advance to too great and instead of 8-9* it is much less. Since the main increase in engine speed initially timing advance it makes a difference.