Did You Sign Up? (NOT)

NYMINUTE

Captain
KLAMATH FALLS, Oregon (CNN) -- With the help of Internet providers, authorities are tracking down more than 30 people who allegedly planned to take part in a mass suicide on Valentine's Day. <br /><br />Gerald Krien, 26, was charged Thursday with solicitation to commit murder and conspiracy to commit manslaughter, Klamath County Sheriff Timothy Evinger said.<br /><br />Authorities allege Krien organized the effort via an Internet chat room. A mother with two small children was among those who allegedly agreed to take part in the pact, Evinger said. She also planned to kill her kids, he said.<br /><br />Krien, who has not made a public statement, was offered a $100,000 bond, but authorities said they did not believe he would make the payment.<br /><br />He has no previous criminal record. <br /><br />A grand jury is expected to get the case Monday.<br /><br />Evinger said a tipster from Canada -- believed to have been inside the group allegedly plotting the mass suicide -- contacted authorities.<br /><br />Krien was arrested outside a hospital Wednesday after a cursory psychological evaluation, Evinger said. Details of the screening were not released.<br /><br />Authorities searched Krien's house and seized his computer. They said his plan appears to have been to coordinate the suicides on Monday over the Internet, possibly through the use of Web cameras.<br /><br />Police, FBI agents and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police are working to track down at least 32 people who may be involved. <br /><br />Evinger said Thursday that authorities needed to move quickly -- even if the episode turned out to be a hoax. <br /><br />Investigators obtained subpoenas for information from several Internet service providers, and Evinger said information was beginning to trickle in Friday.<br /><br />The alleged participants may have been from the United States, Canada or elsewhere, and numerous jurisdictions are likely to be involved.<br /><br />Evinger declined to disclose how those who may be involved planned to carry out the pact. He said Thursday there did not appear to be any religious motivation, as cults have had in mass suicide pacts in the past.<br /><br />Krien moved to southern Oregon a year ago to take care of his ailing father, the sheriff said. Klamath Falls is about 230 miles south of Portland.

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Did You Sign Up? (NOT)

Boy, it sure takes all kinds to make up our world but where do these people come from??????

D

DJ

Let me guess, they're doing this because "W" is president.

spratt

Lieutenant

No Valentine cards in the 3rd grade, made an impact on the remainder of their troubled lives...

spratt

Lieutenant

PVSTDO= Post Valentines Stress Trauma Disorder

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Anyone stupid enough to commit suicide beacue someone in a chat room told them so deserves to die.<br /><br />Hopefully they can save the kids.<br /><br />Ken

KaGee

Admiral

Let them do it... <br /><br />Leaves more for the rest of us.

D

DJ

Anyone stupid enough to commit suicide beacue someone in a chat room told them so deserves to die.<br />
Uh oh, I hope nobody here suggests it. As addicted as we are to this site. :eek:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I'll start slow and easy before I build up to my ultimate display of power over everyone.<br /><br />I command everyone to go take a boat ride!!!!!!<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />Ken

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I hear and I obey!<br /><br />Will a walk with my dog on the ice be good enough? Water's kinda hard around here. ;)

sangerwaker

Commander

Same here, Willy. Some of the rivers are open, but my boat is 50 miles away. :(

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Let them do it... <br /><br />Leaves more for the rest of us.
Right Kagee, but we need the FICA contributions

Twidget

Commander

Uh oh, I hope nobody here suggests it. As addicted as we are to this site.
Nope, wont happen. We wouldnt be able to log in anymore. ;) <br /><br />Maybe they are upset about missing the comet a couple of years ago. <br /><br />As long as no innocents get hurt, let 'em have their fun. They wont do it again.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br /> I hear and I obey!<br /><br />Will a walk with my dog on the ice be good enough? Water's kinda hard around here. ;)
Ice is no excuse!!!<br /><br />Convert boat to airboat!<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />Ken

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I wonder if PVSTDO is a compensable disability under the amricans with disabilities act ?

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

NYMINUTE hit it right on the head. This sack of nuts moved from Sacramento, Caliwako to Klamath Falls,Oregon, a while back. :eek: <br /><br />...Bob in Calif...