Did you ever wonder?

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've been thinking about this for a while. Someone posts a question or has a problem there trying to think through, a lot of members come to there aid with opinions and solutions but you never hear from the OP again. Seems a little rude to me.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I agree its a bit rude.

however all the forums I belong to are full of one-hit-wonders. I myself have less than 50 hits on a few forums, mainly because that project/vehicle/toy/etc was sold.

most likely they fall into one of 5 categories
  • They are young people with their cell phones and the attention span of a gold fish and forgot to log back in to see a response or even remember which site they asked the question in
  • they are askholes, looking for an answer to a question that mirrors their delusional train of thought and they dont come back and do exactly what the forum members tell them not to do
  • they are expecting a social media frenzied response like facetube or twitsnap and give-up if a response isnt instance (like a question on an obsolete outboard from 70 years ago, etc)
  • they came across a project thinking its an easy fix, realize that the free boat they got will cost them more than the clapped out hoopty they are riding in, and they go off and buy a gaming console
  • they are college students writing an essay and need one little bit of information they couldnt find because they didnt bother doing the research that a 0.2 second boolean "google" search would answer. (that has been the case with at least 25 newbies since I have been on iBoats)
some may have been hit by the beer truck just after posting, however that would be a small percentage.

FLATHEAD

Captain
I've been thinking about this for a while. Someone posts a question or has a problem there trying to think through, a lot of members come to there aid with opinions and solutions but you never hear from the OP again. Seems a little rude to me.
I belong to an archery hunting message board. Same thing happens there. Knowledgeable members take the time to type out a responses trying to help a guy out then in the end they just ghost.
It is rude but Sadly is to be expected nowadays.

BWR1953

Admiral
Don't forget the old guys who don't truly understand how the internet works.

They fumble around until they find a likely forum, ask a question, then either can't remember where or how they got there, or get lost in the interwebz, shuffling aimlessly around, frantically searching on how to get back to receive their golden answer. :cool:

cptbill

Beer truck? never thought about that but a good point(though it usually just effects my spelling)

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't forget the old guys who don't truly understand how the internet works.

They fumble around until they find a likely forum, ask a question, then either can't remember where or how they got there, or get lost in the interwebz, shuffling aimlessly around, frantically searching on how to get back to receive their golden answer. :cool:
So, how were you able to look over my shoulder and watch me work without me knowing you were there?
Glenn

ezbtr

Captain
Agreed - but I try to thank everyone who helps me/has helped for the last TWENTY years , you guys are great!!! (well usually.... ;) )

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Beer truck? never thought about that but a good point(though it usually just effects my spelling)
truth is most likely the amazon truck driven by the lunatic that delivers to our neighborhood. my goal is the Swedish swim team driving a good micro-brew truck.....

airshot

Rear Admiral
Unfortunately the term " courtesy" isn't used anymore in todays society and few people even know what it means!

Drivewayboater2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Rude indeed. This forum has helped me and countless others. Those that tap in and expect instant gratification on their issues are not patient. We live in the Amazon get it next day Society. Waiting patiently for an answer or guidance is no longer respected. JMO

cptbill

OK then it's not just me. The Admiral keeps telling me I'm getting a little grumpy

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I have a different philosophy. They got what they needed and left. Same as if someone stopped you at the gas station for directions you stopped and helped with a flat, whatever. Just do what is right, pass no judgement and keep moving forward.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a different philosophy. They got what they needed and left. Same as if someone stopped you at the gas station for directions you stopped and helped with a flat, whatever. Just do what is right, pass no judgement and keep moving forward.
A little follow up is nice though, just to know what actually worked, so we can all learn a little more.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
What bugs me the most is when they get correct info, they get smart and say that it's wrong. Cut you down and call you stupid along with other good advice. At that point i walk away....

cptbill

Sometimes I think some of it is just made up. I think some posters think this is just like any other social media site