Did research re slow trim tilt but…

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1977 Mercruiser 140, MR-1 leg, pic of pump attached.
Did research on slow trim tilt but want to follow logical troubleshooting to determine problem. First up and down it is laboring and slow, then works fine. Hopefully video uploads. When this started, checked fluid and it was quite low. Topped it up and still same. Soooo…
  • Did running low introduce air into lines and I should bleed them?
  • Clean all contact terminals?
  • Possible obstruction in lines?
  • Problem with trim rams?
Any help on sequence of troubleshooting is greatly appreciated.
Cheers…. Wayne

Attachments

• 2257F536-F686-4532-BE54-DDF22D110315.jpeg
    2257F536-F686-4532-BE54-DDF22D110315.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    30.3 MB · Views: 0

Scott06

Vice Admiral
If you run it up and down several time is should bleed itself

Assume fluid is clean ?

Would look at connections to trim motor measure voltage while running

Honestly being that year if it is working I wouldn’t dive to deep into it. Been a long time since I’ve seen one of those pumps…

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you run it up and down several time is should bleed itself

Assume fluid is clean ?

Would look at connections to trim motor measure voltage while running

Honestly being that year if it is working I wouldn’t dive to deep into it. Been a long time since I’ve seen one of those pumps…
After I run it up and down it works fine. After it sits for a bit, the sequence starts over. Does it harm the pump to run it through the low/slow part until it is running normal?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
How’s the surface of the rams ? Any first or crap on them or the seals surface ?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... -The system will self-purge any air,.....
-Absolutely, start there, from the battery to the trim motor, every connection, includin' the grounds,...
-Possible, but unlikely,....
-Another possibility, corrosion at the gland seal/ rod intersection will cause drag,....

To check the rams, unhook the lines, 'n pump 'em by hand,....
They'll be some resistance, but not alot,....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Reason I said about the rams…is that having worked with hydraulics all my working life…what can happen is that folk tend to leave the rams dormant in one of two positions. Either fully extended or fully retracted. This can cause a tight bedded in area between the surface of the ram and the seal. Over time can result in a bit of friction to over come and in turn, load up the motor and pump. Always a good idea to back off a little the other way after their extremity of travel is reached.

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Reason I said about the rams…is that having worked with hydraulics all my working life…what can happen is that folk tend to leave the rams dormant in one of two positions. Either fully extended or fully retracted. This can cause a tight bedded in area between the surface of the ram and the seal. Over time can result in a bit of friction to over come and in turn, load up the motor and pump. Always a good idea to back off a little the other way after their extremity of travel is reached
Ayuh,..... -The system will self-purge any air,.....
-Absolutely, start there, from the battery to the trim motor, every connection, includin' the grounds,...
-Possible, but unlikely,....
-Another possibility, corrosion at the gland seal/ rod intersection will cause drag,....

To check the rams, unhook the lines, 'n pump 'em by hand,....
They'll be some resistance, but not alot,....
So ckeaned the ones on green ( the ground and posi wire from starter. Should I do the circled ones in pics one and two?

Attachments

• C771C78D-449A-4E81-92D1-68B972A45680.jpeg
    C771C78D-449A-4E81-92D1-68B972A45680.jpeg
    819.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 981CEB71-4D90-4AAB-9DD7-7B5C9F4E95DE.jpeg
    981CEB71-4D90-4AAB-9DD7-7B5C9F4E95DE.jpeg
    756.4 KB · Views: 7

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
1977 Mercruiser 140, MR-1 leg, pic of pump attached.
Did research on slow trim tilt but want to follow logical troubleshooting to determine problem. First up and down it is laboring and slow, then works fine. Hopefully video uploads. When this started, checked fluid and it was quite low. Topped it up and still same. Soooo…
Any help on sequence of troubleshooting is greatly appreciated.
Cheers…. Wayne
That's old!!!! I have rebuilt rams before, but I live in a saltwater environment. They get old fast. Disconnect hydraulics on rams and the ram ends closes to prop. You should be able to manually raise and lower prop. See if you can compress rams or fluid out. If you can't, your pump can't either. Rebuild them. Kits are cheap.

kenny nunez

Captain
Just for kicks, how about running a #10 ground wire from the battery to the stud just above where the solenoid bracket is. I am sure that cleaning the terminals would help but from the looks of the rust things will start breaking.

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well this is the pump that I have and the video has clear audio of my problem. The grenn arrow in the picture points at the red wire that was nearly broken and the point where it attaches to the positive post on the solenoid. I snipped it, added a few inches of same gauge wire and a new grommet. However I think I did a crappy job splicing the bit of wire I added.

Attachments

• 68BAB653-032A-402E-9EE4-B67C42FE46F8.jpeg
    68BAB653-032A-402E-9EE4-B67C42FE46F8.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 7
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    37.4 MB · Views: 0

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Can the motor brushes be serviced or do I need to look for new?
Yes if you can get them. Did it years ago on same style pump on my grandfathers boat. Wasn't hard at all. Might be worth pulling it apart and seeing how the motor looks. might be corrosion of dried up grease on bearing and or bushings inside motor.

I'm getting power windows working on my 65 Pontiac, 90% of what I'm doing is taking things apart, removing corrosion, cleaning out hardened grease, and re-lubing it.

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We
Yes if you can get them. Did it years ago on same style pump on my grandfathers boat. Wasn't hard at all. Might be worth pulling it apart and seeing how the motor looks. might be corrosion of dried up grease on bearing and or bushings inside motor.

I'm getting power windows working on my 65 Pontiac, 90% of what I'm doing is taking things apart, removing corrosion, cleaning out hardened grease, and re-lubing it.
ll another clue is , when it was struggling to pump, we tapped the motor casing with a wrench and the motor sped up, eventually running normal

Scott06

Vice Admiral
We

ll another clue is , when it was struggling to pump, we tapped the motor casing with a wrench and the motor sped up, eventually running normal
Try the brushes may work if u can get your hands on them. If merc doesn't have them you may be able to take motor off and go to alternator / starter repair shop

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Try the brushes may work if u can get your hands on them. If merc doesn't have them you may be able to take motor off and go to alternator / starter repair shop
I’m gonna pull it and do a complete cleaning inside and out. There’s a few videos online in the process.;

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I’m gonna pull it and do a complete cleaning inside and out. There’s a few videos online in the process.;
Yes but normally tapping it and works better means you need new brushes… so would make sure to do them while in there