Did I set it too lean???

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 28, 2001
Messages
835
Is ¾ turn out from stop too lean on a 1979 Chrysler 70hp. My bottom cyl was fouling so bad that it would not even fire. I set all of them at ¾ and it runs great at all speeds, and does not seem to foul at all.
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: Did I set it too lean???

3/4 turn should be alright. Keep an eye on the number 1 spark plug tip and make sure it is not running to lean. If the tip is dry without any oily residue it may be set too lean. Your bottom cylinder may be fouling the plug because your fuel recirulation system is plugged or that coil is not delivering a hot enough spark to burn the fuel correctly. The recircuilation system also refered to puddle valves could be plugged and may need to be cleaned.
 

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 28, 2001
Messages
835
Re: Did I set it too lean???

What is a puddle valve? I ordered a manual but who knows when it will get here!
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: Did I set it too lean???

When gas goes into the hot cylinders it condenses and drips down and creates puddles. These puddles are drained back through the motor to be reburned. When you get your manual you will see on the powerhead breakdown probably on the starboard front lower side of the head a long skinny cover about 3 inches long that has 6 small bolts holding it in place. This is called a drain cover and should have a fuel hose going to it. Inside there is a gasket and a screen. This screen has been known to plug up and not allow the gas from draining which could be causing the problem with your lower cylinder. If you take it apart carefully you might not damage the gasket so you can inspect the screen. I would wait till your manual gets there though so you have a good idea what parts go where.
 
Top