Did I do some damage?

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Did I do some damage?

Forgot to mention. The leak seems more severe at speed rather than idle/floating.

Would this indicate more to a rotted transom or just a boot/sealant issue?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Forgot to mention. The leak seems more severe at speed rather than idle/floating.

Would this indicate more to a rotted transom or just a boot/sealant issue?

Would indicate a cooling system leak.

However, looking at your first picture, the boot is rotten.

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's on my list of things to replace (ok, it now anyways)

Working for the Summer, the boat gets repaired paycheck to paycheck. I know it's not the best way, nor the best time in my life for boat ownership, but we've always had one since I was a kid and I missed it, bad.

I never SAW any squirting/spewing in the engine compartment from the cooling system, but where would be the best place to start looking? Where is the water draw anyways, in the outdrive?

Sorry for all the newbie questions. I assure you your answers are not going to ungrateful souls.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Sounds like now would be a good time to start searching for an OMC Factory Service Manual

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Don't jump to conclusions.Put the boat in the water.And carefully observe where water seems to come from and try to prove it BE SURE THE PUMP WILL WORK and don't go far from the trailer.
If screws just spin try to figure why.May simply be someone needs to hold the nut on the other end.Some of the problem might just be a matter of taking it apart and properly assembling it.Crawl around use a light to see as well as to see if light shines through from inside out and outside in.
You could also spray water against the outside and see where it comes in.
Don't assume the worse until you prove it is.

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That was my problem.

We went for a weekend and there were 8,000 boats there with trailers all over the place....Not the best time to test.

And here all we have is the MO river... Again, not a great place to test...lol. Sounds like I just need to take some time on this one.

Thanks all.

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can see the crack in the boot in your pics, by a new boot, I picked mine up for 88.00 from diversified marine, then remove the screws arounfd the boot, clean off transom really good, slip new boot over your outdrive, and seal it really good with a 1/8 or 1/4 inch bead of 3m 6200 sealant, let dry and then test it again, I think that will solve your problems

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good deal.

You fellas are lifesavers.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Ok, something isn't quite right here;
You say the leak is most severe at speed, yet the boot is out of the water then. If the boot is split, you have a second leak as well.

As for the screws that are turning freely, pull them out, dip several wooden toothpicks in marine glue and fill the holes with them. Let the glue set, then cut the toothpicks off flush. Drill a tiny hole in the middle for a guide, then run a screw in. When you mount the new boot, squirt some sealant into the screw holes as well. Water slowly seeping past a screw will rot the plywood.
The factory screws are stainless #8, 1?" long. You may want to get some longer ones. The transom is 2" thick

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, it lasted probably 2 hours while we were motoring around the lake (mostly on plane, but not the entire time). However, when tubing (turns, on/off plane, stern squat) we got about 45 minutes out of it (no bilge pump)

Wouldn't the bottom of the boot still be in the water at plane? And that's a lot of force on the old boot/boot ring that isn't sealed right. (old, heavy boat, stern heavy?)

What is the best course of action in sealing that seem I showed in the other picture? I assume this the infamous 'deck-to-hull' joint people have problems with?

I now know I have another leak at the rubrail that leaks when I make a SEVERE left turn (i.e. when tubing trying to get the tube cross-wake) and I plan on pulling the rubrail and re-sealing.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Get some 3M 4200,Walmart has it in the boating section.
Run a new bead of it under the bottom edge of the rub rail.That should solve that leak.
Then order the new boot and get it installed.You can use the 4200 fast cure on it also.Let it dry at least 48 hours then test it out.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Wouldn't the bottom of the boot still be in the water at plane?

When you're on plane, stick your head over the stern and look. You'll see the entire transom, including the boot in open air. The water stream leaves the hull in a straight line.

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After doing some reading, I think the torn boot happened after the fact. My motor pushed up onto the raised bilge area, which must have torn the boot.

I imagine this means the bolts have ripped out of my now almost non-existant stringers.

Will do some poking with a screwdriver eventually.