Dial up bites the big one!! ( small rant )

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dial up bites the big one!! ( small rant )

cc lancer, DWay actually quoted you $150/mo. ?<br />I've been with them for 2 years now, paying $59.95.<br />The only other option I have here is a Starband BIG satellite with an even bigger cost.<br /><br />It is paid for ( justified ) in my mind, by the money I save with online purchases, and the money saved on the gas I would otherwise use to drive 60 miles to the nearest "city".<br /><br />Plus, I sell stuff on ebay.<br /><br />Not as fast as it was, seems they are having problems at their control center this fall, but still fast in comparison to dialup.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We have had AOL,earthlink,and now peoplepc<br />AOL-horrible,got a virus the first week<br />earthlink-OK,had the accelerator,what a joke!<br />peoplepc-OK so far at 1/2 the price,only problem is with outlook express, sometimes,it will show error,disconnect,try again and it's fine.I can't wait till sat.comes down to a reasonable price.Considering we have direct TV in three rooms and could use one sat.dish for all is real tempting,but I can't justify the cost just to come here and aggravate you all.

spratt

Lieutenant

Find out if any close neighbors have wireless inside thir house:) Then just get a wireless nic and use their connection!!! A lady at my job is actually getting her connection that way...it didn't start that way, she installed a wireless NIC in her machine and set it up in preparation for her own wireless network, adn VOILA!! she immediately got a connection and later learned her next door neighbor has a wireless setup in his house...<br /><br />In answer to your wondering, NO she hasn't told him, adn he MSUT wonder why his connection seems slow at times!!

Link

Rear Admiral

Flahthead <br />Yup BTDT! Had to use dail up the other day! Grrr<br />Back in the Napster days it used to take me 20-40 minutes to DL a 4 meg song. The first day I had DSL I not only DLed the same song but was playing it in 50 seconds.<br />Now I'm complaining about DSL being slow compared to cable :rolleyes: <br /><br />But some here (like me) can remember the commie door 64 days @ 300 buad! :eek: <br /><br />Hard to go backwards for sure.

fixin

That would be sweet,but our nearest neighbor is about a mile away,and don't have a squatt,let alone a putter.

fixin

LINK..I had a cmmedore,our first real computer was a Apple pluss,what a sweet machine,what ever happend to apple?they were like on top in 85.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Apple has made a big comeback in the last few years, new products are awesome and integrate flawlessly with all periferals and even most pc business apps, even Microsoft apps.<br />Great stuff that out performs pc's running processors that are twice as fast.<br /><br />New OS x is unix based, needs much less memory than a pc, but they give it to you anyway. It has state of the art graphics and multimedia integration. OS x is a great way to get rid of windows and microsoft.<br /><br />MacMall and other resellers have an agreement not to undercut Apple's price, but they get around that by giving you a free printer, scanner, speakers, 2 sets of headphones, free shipping, and a D-Link wireless base station for $9.95.<br /><br />Set the whole system up wireless, from the mouse to the scanner.<br /><br />I picked up a G4 iBook for $1000 last spring, and couldn't be happier.<br />The eMac desktop is now priced at $794.<br /><br />Here is their newest:<br /><br /> http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/newimac/ <br /><br />Ofcourse they still have their multi-processor units, but thats another ballgame.<br /><br />Apple's new iPod now holds 60GB of music, thats 15,000 songs.<br /><br /> http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/ipod/

RedRangerVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jason & fixin,<br /> Get yourselfs a hardware based modem instead of the software based. I was running @21kbps most of the time w/software based modem. Went to hardware based and now run @40-45kbps. Same problem here , old,old,old lines.

McGR

I've been using NetZero "high speed" for approximately a year now. Overall, I think it's a good compromise for the cheap guy like me. Basically the "high speed" feature degrades the quality of graphics elements of web pages which results in less data transmission, and faster down loads. It's not a bad trick, as long as you can get past the grainy images (you can always reload in full resolution if required). For $14.95 a month it's really a good deal. The data transmission speeds are the same so downloads of large files (i.e. mp3, video) are still painfully slow. But for day in and day out it's not half bad. I use broadband at work, and am well aware of the advantages, but for now my cheap service works for me. Eventually, I'll have to get off my wallet and get a true high speed service. I'm hoping more competition will drive costs a little lower first. Another concern, is the cable TV syndrome where the monopoly arbitrarily raises the monthly payments when the are not reaching their outrageous profit targets. I'm currently paying four times as much for the same basic cable TV service as I was when I was first married 16 years ago. I don't want to go through that experience again with a cable modem/DSL provider. Hopefully, there are / will be services available to keep these potential monopolies honest.

ndemge

Commander

You still have another option if you can't get SAT, DSL, or Cable...<br /><br />ISDN or Multilink<br /><br />Multilink uses 2 modems, gets you close to the speeed of an ISDN<br /><br />Before I could get dsl, had an ISDN line, cost about $90 a month for the line, and $50 a month for the ISP service.<br /><br />But that also includes 2 usable phone #'s. Get an 3com lanmodem, or Ascend P150 to use the 2 phone lines.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

I lived in dial up hell for 6 or so years. 28-46 Kbps usual speed. Installed Motorola Canopy broadband wireless this spring. <br /><br />Just ran a speed test from my dish-to-tower-to-ISP, 2271kbps speed. $40 a month. <br /><br />I very much feel for our dial up members.