Dial up bites the big one!! ( small rant )

FLATHEAD

Captain
I went from cable to this dial up when I moved,,, I guess it's true what they say you can never go back to dial up. Browsing the web seems more like a chore than ever, even posting a reply on this board seems to take forever. It just aint near as enjoyable. On a good note,, I have much to do around here and dont really have the time to spend sittin in front of a PC anyway. But it sure would be nice that when I do want to it would not take all day to bring up a page.<br /><br />JB I'll never know how you moderated witrh a slow dial up all those years,, you must have nerves of steel.<br /><br />OK I am done venting now,,,<br />Later gators.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Dial up bites the big one!! ( small rant )

Yea FH, it is sure a big difference.<br />I think if I had to go back to dial up, I would quit all together.<br /><br />I would think you would or should have Armstrong cable up there. That's where their main office is anyway, me thinks.<br />EDIT: ARMSTRONG<br />P.O. Box 747087<br />Pittsburgh, PA 15274-7087

crab bait

Captain

there's many post that i can't acess.. <br /><br />the 'graph bar/loading bar' gets to the end an it literally just sits/stay there for 10 minutes an my service cuts me off (re-dail?) then i click 're-dail' .. it locks me back on .. but i still have to re-click the post.. it 'builds' again an just sits there for another 10 minutes untill my service disconects me..<br /><br />it's a real blast..!! a pretty neet practicle joke..!! always get a big kick outta it..!! it's fun..!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

512 DSL... Way to go.... Dial-up? Never again!!!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I feel your pain. my DSL was down the other day and I had to use my dailup. man how slow even at 52kps. and I dont know what genius made up the window that says" you have been dissconnected. would you like to reconnect now?"<br /> man<br /> that starts a round of cursing every time :) :) <br /> good luck and keep dialing :) <br /> PS makes me wonder how we survived with a 14.4 and 28,8 modems :)

LadyFish

Admiral

I have cable at home and dialup at work. My office <br />is close to the tower so I'm usually able to connect<br />at 50.6 which is the best its gets but I am <br />constantly knocked offline. Some days I only connect<br />at 32. Can someone explain to me why I connect at <br />different speeds? :confused: <br /><br />I've had the data line checked for static and there is none.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I am temporarily on dial-up and yes it SUCKS!!!<br />I am used to 1M cable...I had to turn off the pictures just to make it seem almost up to slow speed. No smilies, no grouchies, no winkers...betcha thought I was gonna say winkies didn't you...hehe.<br /><br />Oh well, couple more weeks and I will be back in the land of the living.<br /><br />AK Chappy

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I'm just happy to get consistant 45-50 kbps connections with limited dropped connections. oh well guess I'm stuck in the nomadic land of dialup out here in the woods...thats alright. On the upside I just upgraded to an optical mouse, these things are awsome.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Try 24.0 kbps,how slow can we go,grrrrrr.<br />No cable providers were we are at,and I,m not paying $54.bucks a month for satellite.<br />OK I feel better now.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by fixin:<br /> Try 24.0 kbps,how slow can we go,grrrrrr.<br />No cable providers were we are at,and I,m not paying $54.bucks a month for satellite.<br />OK I feel better now.
Oh, come on, fixin. Ya need to do your part to keep the economy roarin. Keep that money movin, don't just sit on it. :p

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fixin<br />How can i get satellite for 54.00 per month?<br />I have 1958 telephone cable and cheap Sprint will not do anything to up grade. And I have no other options other than Sat., and they quoted me 150.00 per month.

fixin

The best deal I could find was direct-way<br />$579.97 for equipment/59.99 a month or <br />$59.99 down and $99.a month for 15 months then it goes to $59.97.sorry I thought it was $54.00 and didn't mention the extra cost of equipment.<br />heres their link.<br /> http://www.rapidsatellite.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=43

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> I have cable at home and dialup at work. My office <br />is close to the tower so I'm usually able to connect<br />at 50.6 which is the best its gets but I am <br />constantly knocked offline. Some days I only connect<br />at 32. Can someone explain to me why I connect at <br />different speeds? :confused: <br /><br />I've had the data line checked for static and there is none.
LF, I think it has to do with what the source, what your service provider can handle at the time. just a thought
3.gif
<br />I just recently got hooked to DSL at 256k, and, now the computor can't keep up, but still faster than the 28k dial-up...I'm happy...
22.gif

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I am in the same exact "boat" as Fixin. I get absolutely thrilled and ecstatic when I get 28 kbps, but I average 24. I at least got 56 kbps when I lived in town. To be honest, it isn't that bad though. Reading posts and replying doesn't take long, a reply will post in a few seconds. Sometimes pics take a bit, but it is still a matter of seconds. I don't have it as bad as Crab, thats for sure. The Verizon DSL seems like the best deal, but it is not in my area. Any other DSLs are in the $60 a month range. That is too much to spend considering all I do is come here and a few other sites, pay bills, and Ebay. I feel I get my $11 a months worth...

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Up until last fall the only option I had was dial up. The provider knew we had no other option so they did nothing to improve service. They only had 12 local lines, so at 3:30 when school got out, forget it. They added 10 lines, but still hard to connect. Then they went wireless, but that was very expensive, and everyone says just as un-reliable. Then the phone company came in with DSL. At my office we are still on dial up, usually never higher than 28.8. That actually makes me want to get offline and get some work done!

fixin

JasonJ...just wanted to say you did a real nice job on your boat :cool:

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Fixin<br />I talked to Direct about 6 months ago and they were talking a flat 150.00 per month.<br />Our telephone service here is a joke, 9 miles north, cable, good dial up, 8 miles east Sprint has put in fiber optics cable. But here they have no intent to up grade the 1958 line. They have run out of "pairs for new installation", the insulation is off the old cable, and when it rains we get a loud hum on the telephone.<br />I hook up at 19 during the day, and at night a blazing 21. :)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Thanx fixin, it was fun, and now I wanna do another...I just counted, it takes 9 seconds for a reply to post. Thats 9 seconds of my life I'll never get back. :)

fixin

I tried to watch Triggerr's movie the other day and 35min. later I was at 22% :mad: not to mention couldn't do anything else,cause it was sooooooooo slow.I finally gave up and went fishing,time much better spent.Still would have liked to see his movie,maybe I'll download and go to bed tonight,it might be done by this time tomorrow.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm also out in the sticks with no option other than satellite (which I can't afford) or dial up. Two suggestions for the others in the same boat.<br /><br />Might be worth trying a different internet company if available (alot have a month or 2 free so you can check out performance). There can be a marked difference based on the servers they use and amount of traffic each handles. If there are larger cities you can dial as a local call, check out providers that serve them in addition to the providers closest to your nearest town or small city. Just make sure that any access number really is a local call before you use it!<br /><br />Also, check out companies that have dial up 'high speed' options (usually for $4 or $5 more a month). It's not really high speed as far as connection speed, but uses things like html compression algorithms and lower picture resolutions that download significantly faster (you can chose the balance between lower picture resolution/ faster downloads and higher resolution/ slower downloads according to your preferences). If you set a lower picture resolution in general, you can either refresh the entire page or an individual picture to full resolution by using the ''right click' mouse button. <br /><br />While it's not truely a 'high speed' connection I've found that it makes a noticable difference. (note that it doesn't help speed up file downloads, however).<br /><br />And don't pay too much attention to the dial-up speed that your computer lists when you point to the connection icon on your toolbar. There are utilities out there that actually measure true connection speeds. Using one of these you'll find that not only is the listed speed often way off, it varies over a single connection session.