Laddies

Banned
Re: Diagram of poppet valve assembly

Yup
scan0005.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Laddies, That is one confusing diagram. On my '93 V6, the only water out of the telltale is water that passes thru the thermostats, so it is a dribble only at idle. In addition, a whole heck of a lot of water is dumped into the exhaust, even when the motor is cold.

Does this sound right? I currently have lower unit off of a older V6 (150 HP with the clam cowling) on my '93. I assume they are compatable?

Laddies

Banned

Yes Chris thats how they work and if you really trace the flow pattern on the chart thats the way it's drawn but I'm with you it is confusing. We have had a few customers who wanted more flow at the telltale cold and have enlarged the notch in the thermostats to keep them happy.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I spent some time understanding the son's '95 150 and I agree with the diagram.

From the back of the engine the hose coming from the top of the block goes down to the poppet I am going to have to assume as I didn't explore that part that much; but I saw the hose and where it went. I'd have to assume the popoff is located on the bottom of the block in the back with this hose going to it per the diagram.

The stats are on the top of each cylinder bank and off the cap covering them there is a series connected 3/8" hose going from starboard to port then down below the engine and discharging into the mid section; additionally, this line tee's roughly half way down via a 5/16 hose to the pee spiggot.

With this arrangement, you will not get any pee till one or both stats open. I didn't like this and put the pee on the tube coming from the top of the block. That way I get pee within about 30 seconds of startup rather than having to guess that I have water till the stats decide to open (143F).

If, in fact you believe the diagram, and I do as I said, you do not get any water (to speak of) out of the powerhead until you either unseat the popoff or the stat(s) open.

I believe this as you need pressure to keep the block full of water so that the upper cylinders are surrounded by water. If you notice the little vents in both the stats and the popoff, you have a small amount of curculation prior to either function functioning. Part of the reason for this (I'm sure) is to keep some water running through the exhaust manifold so that it doesn't overheat.

The popoff is supposed to unseat at around 2500 rpm (need that rpm or better to get adequate pressure from the water pump) or when the boat is moving forward fast enough to provide comparable pressure on the water system via the water inlets in the lower unit.

From what you are saying, I'm going to say that your popoff is either missing or stuck open.

My best guess.

Mark

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I installed a pressure gauge on my 150hp motor because I was also previously confused/concerned when monitoring the pee stream. There was always a delay between when the motor was started and when the pee stream appeared. I was also often uncertain whether the pee stream was adequate and at the correct temperature. The pressure gauge (on the dash) now lets me monitor the cooling system much more effectively and it was easy to install. You might consider doing the same.

http://www.diy-boat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=151&Itemid=49

j_martin

Admiral

I installed a pressure gauge on my 150hp motor because I was also previously confused/concerned when monitoring the pee stream. There was always a delay between when the motor was started and when the pee stream appeared. I was also often uncertain whether the pee stream was adequate and at the correct temperature. The pressure gauge (on the dash) now lets me monitor the cooling system much more effectively and it was easy to install. You might consider doing the same.

http://www.diy-boat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=151&Itemid=49

Also, if the overtemp alarm is hooked up, it'll sound off a long time before any damage is done at idle, ie if the impeller is totally wasted.

I like the way the pee check is hooked up. It gives you a quick "feel it" check for the t-stats on the muffs.

John

93procraft

Cadet

Thank alot for your help.Thats what I needed to know.(The Diagram).Again, THANKS, Mike

93procraft

Cadet

Would you happen to know what to torque the screw on the diaphragm or is there some other way to do this, like number of turns?? Thanks,Mike

gss036

Commander

Just crew it down all the way, be careful not to strip it out. Any adjus ment, if needed, is done by cutting off a little bit of the spring. Probably won't be needed under normal conditions.

gr1972

Recruit

I have a 1998 mariner 200 hp and iam having trouble over heating at high rpm i have change the water pump and installed a poppet valve kit except the spring any suggestions in what to try next
thanks

vdm

Recruit

Is the water flow the same on a 1996 250 EFI. My poppet valve assembly looks different than this,